UK Bank accounts

restfamily

Guest spray21

I asked my bank (Halifax) they said I can keep my ISA account open and it will still earn interest tax free, but I can't put more money in it once I move abroad.

I'm expecting to be able to keep my ordinary accounts open - although I will probably close a few for simplicity's sake - so I'm not sure what they will do about addresses! Will ask my mum if I can put her address down as an emergency contact. TBH I do most of my banking online anyway, so I'm hoping it will all be accessible to me from Australia.

Guest spray21

Mwah-ha-ha, it will be fine if they don't know about it! If I just have the interest added to the ISA itself then it will all stay in the UK, I won't be accessing it or spending it, no worries! (Let's just hope the Aussie tax people don't investigate this forum too closely, :wink: )

Guest ohippychick

I have kept my Nationwide bank account no problem. You can have an overseas address. Family just transfer money into it for Christmas/birthdays and I can withdraw as Oz cash at any cashpoint with no charges. I have also kept DD's on it and still have a Nationwide credit card :D

Archived