What age School starts?

sam11480

Hello there

My daughter is five in May 2020. Does this mean that she will start school in a Victoria School in January 2021? We are moving to Victoria in January 2020 and I'm not sure if I should be enrolling her into a school straight away. 

Many thanks for your help.

Sam 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gudipudi said:

she would be eligible to to start schooling from Jan 2020 technically  but the decision lies with  you whether or not you wanna send her.

With a May birthday, the cut off date for Victoria is April 30 so technically she wouldn't be eligible to start school until Jan 2121 anyway.  She may be able to access kindergaten/preschool for some of the week but that's a user pays program.

School enrolments happen mid year for the following year and there is usually a transition process from a kindergaten to big school 

Edited by Quoll

• 1 month later...

In South Australia, public primary schools have one intake date, this means: If your child turns five years before 1 May they can start primary school the first day of term 1 of that year. If your child turns five on or after 1 May they can start primary school the first day of term 1 of the following year.
St

9 hours ago, peterclark said:

In South Australia, public primary schools have one intake date, this means: If your child turns five years before 1 May they can start primary school the first day of term 1 of that year. If your child turns five on or after 1 May they can start primary school the first day of term 1 of the following year.
St

The states are all different, the op asked about Victoria. Mind you, I think a National policy for school ages is well overdue!