The Adelaide vibe

Red Rose

28 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

When jobs are scarce and applicants are plentiful, there’s bound to be a bias towards locals

Although there are jobs that will go to new arrivals specifically because the locals know not to touch them!  Happened a lot in the 457 visa days, high profile roles in Adelaide that were career suicide for locals, but to the poor sucker overseas seemed like a great opportunity then after a while there would be an article in the paper about the person returning home for family reasons!!!!!  Although when I work with my clients, if they are willing and are aware of the risks there are organisations I suggest they target because I know they struggle to recruit and it is a chance to get their foot in the door and some Aussie work experience on their resume.

33 minutes ago, Jessica Berry said:

Exactly. A recent admin job advert a friend applied for received 400 applications and this happens a lot, nothing new in the time I have been in Adelaide.  Some adverts will state at the bottom...due to the volume of applications received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Again, this is not to say there isn't work here, but it depends what you do, what you are willing to do, attitude, approach etc etc etc.  I applied for a job recently and within 1.5 hours of applying on Seek the company was contacting me to arrange an interview.

Good luck!