190 visa - Conference and Event Organiser

KittyGibbo

Hi there everyone, 

I am 24 (25 this year) and have just returned from a WH in Aus having completed 10 months out of the 12 where I worked - for two different companies - one school and one int. event agency - in my main occupation as an Event Coordinator. I had done 2 years previous in the UK and I am now back working in events in the UK. So I am into my 4th year of working in the industry. I have a first cousin also in Oz who is a PR. 

I am wondering if others here have had experience in gaining a 190 visa for this occupation? I know already that currently Tassie, and NT are offering state sponsorship - with Tassie looking for a job offer before applying. I have been doing the points test and score between 65 - 70/75. 

I am keen to return to Australia in the occupation that I am in by the time I am 30 years old if possible and would be grateful for any advice. 

Many thanks!

Kitty x 

Do you hold a qualification highly relevant to your occupation?

First you would need to get a skills assessment in order to apply for a visa, check this link to see if you qualify: https://www.vetassess.com.au/Portals/0/Downloads/qualification_assessment/Conference_and_Event_Organiser.pdf

From what I get out of that is that you need a qualification and relevant work experience to obtain a 'positive' result which is required for immigration. One years of work experience is required if your qualification matches your occupation, and two years if it does not match.

So for you, with 4 years in the industry, you may score either 5 points for 3 years of experience, or zero for two years.

Appears you are correct in that Tassie and NT are the only open states other than if you were working in South Australia. Tassie also has a condition that you shall not have lived in another australian state within the past 12 months, and also requires a job offer like you mentioned.

NT is fairly reluctant to give out 190 visas anymore because too many people are using this pathway to move straight to another state. As a result, it seems that the 489 visa is more likely. OTOH, maybe they would take into account that you already have Australian experience and you're able to produce a very good commitment statement and research.

Not sure on the skills assessment timelines for VETASSESS, but if there is an available pathway now (NT) then it would probably be best not to wait too long. Skilled visas are becoming much more competitive every year, with points requirements continuing to increase with more requirements being introduced. I missed my chance in 2018 to get a permanent visa by graduating 3 months too late 😕 But who knows, maybe labor will win and immigration will take a turn for the better. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Might be best for you to consult a registered migration agent to go over all your options. 

8 hours ago, CivCdn said:

Do you hold a qualification highly relevant to your occupation?

First you would need to get a skills assessment in order to apply for a visa, check this link to see if you qualify: https://www.vetassess.com.au/Portals/0/Downloads/qualification_assessment/Conference_and_Event_Organiser.pdf

From what I get out of that is that you need a qualification and relevant work experience to obtain a 'positive' result which is required for immigration. One years of work experience is required if your qualification matches your occupation, and two years if it does not match.

So for you, with 4 years in the industry, you may score either 5 points for 3 years of experience, or zero for two years.

Appears you are correct in that Tassie and NT are the only open states other than if you were working in South Australia. Tassie also has a condition that you shall not have lived in another australian state within the past 12 months, and also requires a job offer like you mentioned.

NT is fairly reluctant to give out 190 visas anymore because too many people are using this pathway to move straight to another state. As a result, it seems that the 489 visa is more likely. OTOH, maybe they would take into account that you already have Australian experience and you're able to produce a very good commitment statement and research.

Not sure on the skills assessment timelines for VETASSESS, but if there is an available pathway now (NT) then it would probably be best not to wait too long. Skilled visas are becoming much more competitive every year, with points requirements continuing to increase with more requirements being introduced. I missed my chance in 2018 to get a permanent visa by graduating 3 months too late 😕 But who knows, maybe labor will win and immigration will take a turn for the better. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Might be best for you to consult a registered migration agent to go over all your options. 

When you said you missed your chance last year by graduating 3 months too late what do you mean? I hope you can be successful this year? 🙂