Where to Live in Melbourne?

Guest Lynzi

Hey,

My partner and I are moving to Melbourne in March 07 and are wanting to rent property in either South yara or St Kilda area's.

Can anyone advise us if these are nice areas or if there are any other areas you would recommend? We want to be near to the city and have a good social life but also be safe and in a nice area. I have heard St Kilda can be a bit crazy??

Thanks

Lynzi & Pete :D

Hi , I'm hoping to move to Melbourne next year aswell . I lived in Surrey hills for a year in 2oo2-2003 and it is a very nice area, about half an hour from the CBD by tram, or train. South Yarra is very expensive but also very nice. St Kilda has good parts but there are also problems , I worked in a huge hospital near there so probably saw the worst of it!There is a booklet you can download from ajspublishing@yahoo.co.uk called" Where to live in Melbourne", it is very good . Good luck.

Hey,

My partner and I are moving to Melbourne in March 07 and are wanting to rent property in either South Yarra or St Kilda area's.

Can anyone advise us if these are nice areas or if there are any other areas you would recommend? We want to be near to the city and have a good social life but also be safe and in a nice area. I have heard St Kilda can be a bit crazy??

Thanks

Lynzi & Pete :D

South Yarra is lovely, but expensive.

St Kilda is a bit strange... It is lovely... quiet during the day...on the beach... but..

Has a busy nightlife and cafe society, sunday arts market, lots of 'tourist' visitors,

...and a seedy side at night... certain areas are frequented by prostitutes looking for business, and the drug scene can be lively too.... Fitzroy street and the immediate vicinity in particular can be highly variable...

So, in St Kilda... check the street carefully first.

For posh and quiet...Surrey Hills.. Mont Albert, Kew... or even Camberwell... If you are independently wealthy, Toorak....

Actually... Most of Melbourne is pretty much okay...

If you don't mind apartment living, look at the new docklands or inner-city areas.

Archived