Aussie citizenship, UK & Aus passports for newborn son to PR parents

richev

My wife and I moved out to Australia in 2016 as Permanent Residents, and last week our son was born here in Sydney! 🙂

As we both have PR and he was born in Australia we understand that this means he is entitled to (or automatically has?) Australian citizenship.

We hope to take him on a trip back to the UK later this year, so would like to get him all set up with UK and Australian passports. For expediency, we're planning to do the applications in parallel, so have applied for two birth certificates for him (as the UK authorities require a original certificate).

Our rationale behind getting both passports before we go is that travel to the UK will be simpler if we're all holding UK passports, and that he will need his Australian passport in order to re-enter Australia without a visa of some sort (friends here got caught out by this last year, and their son got admitted with a 90 day visitor visa while they urgently sorted out his Aussie passport!)

The UK passport application process seems relatively simple, but for the Australian one we need to apply for and obtain an Australian citizenship certificate for him first, as a birth certificate doesn't confirm citizenship.

So I think we have it all figured out, but I'd really welcome any hints or tips, or information about gotchas or any parts of the process that are easy to make a slip-up on.

Many thanks!