Partner Visa 309/100

mjpoplett92

Hi,

I am Aussie from QLD & my husband is from the UK. Been with my partner for 3 years total, married for 1 of those 3 years! We have lived together for 2 years, 1 year with his family while we were buying our home and the last 12 months have been in our own home. We were married in Brisbane in 2018.

We have no children to our relationship, however my husband has a 11 year old son from a previous relationship, who he pays maintenance for but doesn't have custody of. His son wouldn't be coming with us but we would love to give him the option when he's old enough to decide for himself later in life.

Has anybody had experience with this & could provide advice as to if it effected their  application? Our original plan was to apply for Visa's once his son was 16, however due to family illness on my side we have had to make the decision to move our timeline forward quite a few years so that I am able to help care for them, we are hoping that the amount of time we have been in a relationship will still qualify us for the partner visa, we were planning on doing it ourselves without assistance from an agent. 

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated, we are looking to start the application in the end of Jan 2019/Feb 2019. 

Thanks. 

Looks fairly straightforward from a partner visa POV given your relationship but the non migrating child might be an issue if the other parent refuses to play ball.

Other thing to be working on at the same time, if you don’t already have it is your U.K. citizenship. If you should decide to return at some point it’s much easier than a spouse visa down the track.