Scoring Extra points for additional diploma

ignite-me

Hello,

As I am looking to migrate to Australia with Skilled Independent visa under "Software developer" occupation, I am currently looking at ways to improve my points score. At the minute, I stand at 65-points which is not enough at the moment for this occupation (70 is set to minimum).

Here is the breakdown of my points:

• I'm 26 years old - 30 points
  • I have a Bachelor's degree from a UK recognised university - 15 points
  • Superior English skills - 20 points
  • I have 2 years of work experience - 0 points for the visa, but used to assess my skills

In order to score points, I am thinking of doing a diploma course for two year in Regional Australia (Adelaide). This would potentially get me an extra 10 points for my EOI. My main question is, if I am migrating under the "Software developer" occupation, can I claim these extra points if my diploma is in a different field of study (e.g. business, management or tourism)?

I understand that I would not be able to claim this under "Qualifications", but to get extra 5 points for "Australian study requirement" and 5 more for "Study in regional Australia"?

You would be better asking a registered agent. @Raul Senise

IMO it seems a little extreme unless you are already in Oz on another visa. Applying for say a student visa, waiting two years and then software developer could be off the list. Who knows. 

Another year of uk experience and there is potentially 5 points. Taking you to 70. 

6 minutes ago, Jsmull87 said:

Another year of uk experience and there is potentially 5 points. Taking you to 70. 

Unfortunately ACS (assessing body for IT) has states that "skilled employment" starts only after 2 years of working (which is the period that is used to assess skills only). So if I go down that path, I'd be looking at another 3 years of working in the UK before I can claim those extra 5 points from outside of Australia work experience.

It might seem a bit crazy, but I've been wanting to move to Oz since I studied abroad there in 2015. While there is a risk that my occupation might be taken off the list, I think it's highly unlikely considering how in demand they are at the moment in the world. My main concern is that the minimum score for my profession might go up to 75 or even 80 points, just like it has happened to Accountants in the previous years. Then my 3 yrs of work here will be absolutely useless and I'll be back to square one.

Screenshot 2019-01-02 at 19.50.47.png