Help with Visa Sponsorship

laura160882

I am Currently a Child Protection social worker in the UK but have been looking for several years at job opportunities in Australia. Having already explored various migration experts and agents I am curious as to the most affordable means of actually getting to Australia and securing a job offer. Either, by means of sponsorship or using a migration expert.

Ideally, I would like to live in the Victoria or Perth area, however we would consider pretty much anywhere. We are a family of five and my husband is a experienced bricklayer and we have three sons aged 14,12 and 7. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are certain we want to make the move, just struggling as to getting things into motion and looking at our best options.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, laura160882 said:

I am Currently a Child Protection social worker in the UK but have been looking for several years at job opportunities in Australia. Having already explored various migration experts and agents I am curious as to the most affordable means of actually getting to Australia and securing a job offer. Either, by means of sponsorship or using a migration expert.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking so apologies if I tell you stuff you already know.  

There are employer-sponsored visas, but they are short-term (2 to 4 years) and you go home at the end.  It's common for people to talk about a "transition" to a permanent visa at the end of the contract - but that's misleading, because it's NOT a transition.  All it means is that you're eligible to apply for a permanent visa at the end. 

Many people think that sounds like a great option.  You take the contract, get your air fares paid, have a job from day 1. It takes all the risk out of migration - but it doesn't, because the rules are changing so much. The government keeps on raising the bar.  We've seen many members take the sponsored route,. only to find that the requirements had increased by the time they were eligible to "transition", and they're no longer eligible. I remember one family who missed out by a couple of weeks.  There's no way to predict.

All in all, it's so uncertain that you shouldn't sell your home in the UK. Treat it as a short-term adventure - if you get PR at the end, it's a lucky bonus.   If you want to go that route, do consider how it will affect your older child's education.

If you want to migrate permanently to Australia, the only realistic option is to apply for a Skilled visa in your own right (with or without a migration agent).  It's very hard to find an employer to sponsor you. The problem is that the whole process, from starting your application to arriving in Australia, takes a year or so.  How many employers do you think would offer you a job, then wait a year for you to arrive, not even knowing if you'll make it?   

In the old days, when Australia was a new country with major skill shortages, employers would wait that long. These days, the unemployment rate is about the same as the UK, and there are far more local applicants around.  Even people who already have their visa granted, struggle to get a job offer from the UK - again, why would an employer wait two or three months for a family to pack up and get to Australia?  They'd rather settle for a less-qualified local who can start next month. 

That's why most migrants take a leap of faith and arrive without a job.  The advice is to save up so you have six months' living expenses, in case it takes you a while to secure a role. It's not a cheap process - in fact, the application fees and agent fees are the cheapest part of the process.  

Edited by Marisawright

7 minutes ago, laura160882 said:

Thank you so much for your replies. Very helpful. Any suggestions on a reputable migration expert from the uk ?

It really doesn't matter where your agent is, as it can all be done online/via phone these days.   WRussell is a reputable agent who's very helpful on these forums. His company is Pinoy Australia pinoyau.com