car hire

thebigmove2017

we are going in May to validate our visas, looking at booking a hire car for 2 weeks we are there. we don't have a credit card anymore and use our visa debit for everything. Hertz will allow me book a car and pay for it in full online but the website is telling me i need a credit card to pay bond on pick up. is there any way around this? can i use a pre paid credit card? i dont want to get a credit card just for a hire car bond?

is there any way around this.

flights booked, accom booked so this is the final hurdle

We had the same problem when we tried to hire a car in the UK.  They wouldn't accept our UK debit card or our prepaid Travelcard.   We did have our Australian credit card but we didn't want to use it, considering we had British currency on the other cards. The issue is that they won't take a card which limits how much they can claim, in case you nick or write off the car and they want to charge you thousands of dollars.  So prepaid won't work either.

I found this article:

https://www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au/rental-information/payment-methods/debit-card/

• 3 weeks later...