Medical Type 1 Diabetes

Barrywelsh

Hi,

I just wondered if any diabetics have successfully passed the medical? - for a 189/190/489 visa

The reason I ask is that I have had conflicting advice. I was under the impression from my agent who said  that it will not cause an issue unless you have complications.

I have contacted another agent who is well known in the medical side of migration and I received   email from his assistant stating that Type 1 diabetes cost approx $4000 per year and is assessed on a lifetime estimate. This obviously takes it over $40000 and a fail. 

This means no diabetics should ever pass - i know this is not the case from what I have read on here. 

Thanks 

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Barrywelsh I have also seen plenty of people get the visa. Have you had a chat with George Lombard? He is the go to person for health conditions although please bear in mind I don’t think agents are allowed to comment on cases if you have already employed the services of another, it’s some ethical law I think.

Have a look at this post a few months ago 

Thanks for your reply.

yes I had contacted George Lombard and got an email from a member of his staff who suggested that the average diabetic without complications cost around $4000 per year. This would be assessed until age 68. Hence going well over the $40000 threshold.

I’m just a bit confused as I have read on various forums that people have passed without issue.

I've type 1 diabetes and got my visa (it was a 175 in those days) without any issue (it took a few extra weeks for my medical to be approved that's all). I don't know the ins and outs of how the financials of a condition are assessed but what I will say is that you would expect a person with a skill in demand to pay more that $4,000 a year in tax so even if it does cost the Australian Government $4,000 a year they're making something on the deal.