Davo72

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows how the new rules (104 wk wait period) regarding new migrants to Australia affect a permanent resident visa?

Context: I'm Australian, my two children (1 month and 2 yrs old) are as well and I'm sponsoring my partner/wife for permanent residency.

Our 2 yr old is autistic and will require fulltime care as well as our one month old (obviously!) upon arrival. What I don't know is whether my partner will be able to receive a Carer or Parenting payment for our children because she is a new migrant or whether they allow an exemption?

Any ideas or knowledge/experience in dealing with this? Thanks!

(Sorry was unsure as to where to post this exactly) 😊

If you are Australian, then you apply for all assistance and benefits under your name. I came across on a 100 last year and cannot claim anything in my name for the first two years. My husband, the Aussie, registered for family payments thru Centrelink and we get half our childcare paid that way. Also a mate of mine gets funded speech therapy and things for her autistic son, again claimed via the dad who is the Aussie as she, like me, cannot claim until after 104 weeks. Good luck.

Edited by Beffers

Hi, 

thanks for the reply and info! 😊

It’s helpful as we plan for relocating in Jan ‘19. 

Related: We found that if you live in a country that has a social security agreement with Australia, some pension and benefit wait times are waived for time living in the other country. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davo72 said:

Hi, 

thanks for the reply and info! 😊

It’s helpful as we plan for relocating in Jan ‘19. 

Related: We found that if you live in a country that has a social security agreement with Australia, some pension and benefit wait times are waived for time living in the other country. 

We checked with Centre link when we arrived and were told there would be no waivers at all, but I presume they assess on a case by case basis perhaps? Our friend with the autistic son also didn't receive any waiver at all. Just make sure you have all the right paperwork in place when you present yourselves at Centrelink. Good luck!