Not Brexit but Queensland Nexit - North Australia Colony

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

They keep on talking about splitting Queensland again.

I hadn’t realised until I read an article today that we once had a North Australia Colony. I think this map was 1846 showing the divide.

1662BE3E-94FB-4A24-A8D8-D90BA05D7DA2.jpeg

After living in Cairns for a number of years I can understand their frustration and the want of going it alone. We missed out on everything and all the money was always spent on Townsville. I suppose those in Townsville felt the same about funds being spent in Brisbane etc. 

Would a split of Queensland actually work? Where would you divide it from? 

‘Could it legally happen?

There is a full chapter in the Constitution regarding separating states. You have three provisions which could legally allow it:

Provision 121: The Parliament of the Commonwealth could decide to establish a new state. 

Provision 123: The Parliament of Commonwealth could decide, with the consent of the State Parliament, after the approval of the majority of voters in a State, to alter the territory. 

Provision 124: State parliaments could decide to split or join two states together to form a new State. 

Not so different from devolution in the UK, with Scotland and Wales wanting to set their own agendas and priorities. Not the worst idea, just the cost of it in terms of the relatively small population in that area having to pay for it I suppose. It is very frustrating for people in those areas, feeling forgotten and marginalised. 

On 23/09/2018 at 00:57, Amber Snowball said:

Not so different from devolution in the UK, with Scotland and Wales wanting to set their own agendas and priorities. Not the worst idea, just the cost of it in terms of the relatively small population in that area having to pay for it I suppose. It is very frustrating for people in those areas, feeling forgotten and marginalised. 

Tbf northern Queensland has a bigger population/GDP than Tasmania. And it is fast growing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Fair enough, but would it be enough to sustain independence?

No real idea myself it was just a thought. Can’t see it happening, anymore than Tassie going it alone.

North Queensland is not asking for independence, they just want to form a new state within Australia. With time they would be able to support other states, with their surplus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/09/2018 at 23:55, The Pom Queen said:

They keep on talking about splitting Queensland again.

I hadn’t realised until I read an article today that we once had a North Australia Colony. I think this map was 1846 showing the divide.

1662BE3E-94FB-4A24-A8D8-D90BA05D7DA2.jpeg

After living in Cairns for a number of years I can understand their frustration and the want of going it alone. We missed out on everything and all the money was always spent on Townsville. I suppose those in Townsville felt the same about funds being spent in Brisbane etc. 

Would a split of Queensland actually work? Where would you divide it from? 

‘Could it legally happen?

There is a full chapter in the Constitution regarding separating states. You have three provisions which could legally allow it:

Provision 121: The Parliament of the Commonwealth could decide to establish a new state. 

Provision 123: The Parliament of Commonwealth could decide, with the consent of the State Parliament, after the approval of the majority of voters in a State, to alter the territory. 

Provision 124: State parliaments could decide to split or join two states together to form a new State. 

Would you support it, personally? 

• Haha 1