Adelaide v Gold Coast

Plumboz

1 hour ago, KD79UK said:

Hi I have a house in the Gold Coast, I moved from Perth where I lived for 8 years. I've owned my house in the Gold Coast for about 5 years, but spent 2 of those years away working in Darwin, and 1.5 years living full time in Adelaide. I'm currently working in Adelaide again during the week and then commuting home for long weekend to Gold Coast.  Apologies, I've been lazy with punctuation etc. so please forgive the following! What I like and dislike about both - 

Gold Coast -

Climate, I like that it is very rarely very cold (still got the odd times, dont get me wrong). I like heat, although in my opinion it is never overbearingly hot. I don't mind humidity (in fact I don't think it is that bad, my mother would flatly disagree with me!). My mum also says she misses seasons in the GC, as she doesn't really think there is much change. 

Outdoors - You have a lot of options all year round. There is some sensational hiking, lots of places to swim, paddle board, kayak, I scuba dive, you can do this all year round without freezing, although everyone always thinks of Surfers Paradise (!) there is a lot of activity in Gold Coast. 

Events - there are a lot of events all the time, it is constant and varies. 

Lifestyle - Hugely laid back, beach lifestyle 

Transient nature of the GC - it can be hard to make friends in the GC due to people being transitional or on holiday etc. Not always a place people live full time, but I believe that is really changing. I think the GC will see a real increase in population and they are starting to put a lot of thought in it.

Small town - due to the above if you are after small sleepy town feeling then you may not like the Gold Coast of the future. It has also been ruined a little by too much building of high rises.

Adelaide - 

I like that you really arent more than 25 minutes from the city most of the time 

I like that Adelaide seems to keep the live band alive. It is good to see bands touring often in venues where you can get closer with a good view. The Gov is one of my fave venues.  They also still have pubs that have a bit of an english feel to them, but it depends if that is a big draw for you

Not keen on the weather here. I find it too cold during winter and then stupid hot during summer (which doesnt always last long enough for my liking). You know the climate here so you can view my comments on weather in light of what you think about the Adelaide climate

Wine - I love the red wine here, and its nice your close to good wineries! 

Food - I have had some of my most favourite dishes in Adelaide. They do food well. 

Best fringe festival. I think they have done this event really well and the town really changes during the 2 mths of the festival. 

House are built properly. You can still get a properly built, soundproof brick house! and the houses are beautiful. Houses in general here are badly put together, but the older ones in Adelaide are great. 

If you like cycling you are probably in one of the best places in Australia. I haven't ever seen so many cyclists in one city and somewhere so well though out for cyclists. 

That is some of my thoughts. I can't help you in terms of schools etc, and I have a clear preference for Gold Coast (although spending time in both states at the moment is a great mix!).

Hopefully some of those points might help though. Some may or may not agree with me I'm sure!

That’s great, thanks for your time and great to hear from someone with experience of both places, although we are starting to side towards Adelaide again.

If you like cycling you are probably in one of the best places in Australia. I haven't ever seen so many cyclists in one city and somewhere so well though out for cyclists. 

I'm not sure if you are a cyclist because whilst adelaide looks like a bike friendly city on the surface in reality it has some distance to travel,  I spent 9 or so years in Sydney and just under 3 in adelaide , cycled to work consistently for 8 of them and was in an Sydney inner west cycling club, southern highlands and hawkesbury (arkuna),   Tour de Bright in Victorian highlands is an exceptional climbing comparable to a category 2 or 3 french climb.

Adelaide ?   Hills , after that nothing and that's it, the city is flat and bike lanes are in place to segregate casual cyclists from traffic, why ?  ignorance and road rage ?  I've never seen more road rage in adelaide in my time as a cyclist, the drivers are simply the worst in the country (maybe gold coast ?) ,   Clubs ?   Clubs in adelaide are a social strata thing and not a cycling club, that is, they exist for say a bunch of work colleagues at a management consultancy firm who all ride 10K pinarello's and drink late's after an easy 50km local hills ride,  contrast that with some clubs in western sydney and you'll get a much richer demographic and a 130km ride on a weekend is norm.

Tour down Under,  ?  SA's desperate chance to try and keep it on the map,  everyone in the cycling industry knows Victoria has better routes, better climate and better scenery, yet politically the TDF is stuck in adelaide.

On 16/09/2018 at 18:49, Plumboz said:

On 16/09/2018 at 18:49, Plumboz said:

Hi all, hoping for some information and opinions to help us make our minds up.

we lived in Adelaide for 2 years between 2010-2012 but returned to uk for personal reasons but are now returning to Oz in the early part of next year, although we have a choice due to job offers of either Adelaide again or Gold Coast, we are a family of 4 daughter is 16 and has just started sixth form here and son is 13.

TIA

Personally I would choose the Gold Coast. Much more interesting things to see and do for teenagers.