Nurse Roles/bands/titles

SWMOY04

This has been a such a confusing episode for me.

I am a relatively "new" nurse... coming up on 3 years experience. worked in wards for the first 20months...in that time I realised a wider way of raising my Oz money was to do my overtime through agency work and not bank work, then got a band 6 community post and My agency acknowledged this and started offering me Band 6 work in neighbouring Trusts as shifts.

Within 6 months my CV had circulated enough to be asked for an interview for a locum role with a trial period of 3 months after a 1 month training period.

I've been in this post for 7 months now. (Agency Band 6 post)

I also have a mentorship qualification at level 7 as I was considering starting my MSc and concluding before moving to Oz. I ended up parking this plans.

when I look at Melbourne jobs... I had told myself I wouldn't mind starting off again as their Band 5 equivalent... which I take to be RPN2?

when I look at job descriptions though, it would appear even some of my Band 5 responsibilities fall under RPN3.

when I've looked at what I'm currently doing now, some similar roles are RPN4 (responsibilities wise, autonomy etc)

I have told myself not to go for RPN4 posts

is it worth giving the RPN3 Posts a shot? even without RPN2 experience in Oz?

2 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

This has been a such a confusing episode for me.

I am a relatively "new" nurse... coming up on 3 years experience. worked in wards for the first 20months...in that time I realised a wider way of raising my Oz money was to do my overtime through agency work and not bank work, then got a band 6 community post and My agency acknowledged this and started offering me Band 6 work in neighbouring Trusts as shifts.

Within 6 months my CV had circulated enough to be asked for an interview for a locum role with a trial period of 3 months after a 1 month training period.

I've been in this post for 7 months now. (Agency Band 6 post)

I also have a mentorship qualification at level 7 as I was considering starting my MSc and concluding before moving to Oz. I ended up parking this plans.

when I look at Melbourne jobs... I had told myself I wouldn't mind starting off again as their Band 5 equivalent... which I take to be RPN2?

when I look at job descriptions though, it would appear even some of my Band 5 responsibilities fall under RPN3.

when I've looked at what I'm currently doing now, some similar roles are RPN4 (responsibilities wise, autonomy etc)

I have told myself not to go for RPN4 posts

is it worth giving the RPN3 Posts a shot? even without RPN2 experience in Oz?

Nursing bands differ from state to state and mean different things! I would say don't undersell yourself. If you read the PD and you can demonstrate that you can do what they want, go for it. If you find that you don't get asked for interviews, maybe then lower your sights. Don't aim low. Assuming RPN is Reg Psych Nurse? Mental Health has issues recruiting in Victoria anyway, always loads of jobs advertised, not sure about elsewhere. 

Be realistic and go for it. ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SWMOY04 said:

been reading around...

am I correct in thinking

BAND 8/Matron - unclear
BAND 7/Manager - RN4/NUM
BAND 6/DepManager - RN3/ANUM
BAND 5/Staff - RN2/Staff

this is for inpatient settings???

I'm afraid I don't know the "old money" grades

Matron doesn't exist in Aus! 

As an adult nurse in Melbourne I was on a Level 5 CNS. That was around the level of DDON (not the same role) DDON = Deputy Director Nursing. I wasn't on the wards so not sure about the equivalent. I might still have a Public Health nursing award somewhere. if I can find it I'll PM you with it.

Level 4 was a Team leader sort of level. The health network I worked for was tending to diminish the roles by calling them team leaders when in fact they were management roles that should have \been paid at a higher grade. Wanting a lot of aggro and work for not much money. They had a large deficit in funding etc etc. You know the story.

• Like 1