Is 186 Visa Realistic?

Hi Guys - great site, and discussion, was wondering if you could help me...

I want to do the skills test and then apply for jobs and hope an employer will sponsor me for the 186...

Is this realistic? Or do they push you to the 457 (which I think is now 482). I am an ICT Business Analyst

Second, I am here on a Working holiday visa now, so presume I would start work with them straight away, get a bridging visa, then wait for the 186 to be processed? Or can they sponsor me on the basis I start work once approved?

Third, do they need to sponsor me on a 186 specifically, or could they just sponsor on 457/482 and I apply for 186 independently?

Finally, is there any way to get a 186 without sponsorship?

Thanks so much,

James

9 hours ago, Aussieman said:

Hi Guys - great site, and discussion, was wondering if you could help me...

I want to do the skills test and then apply for jobs and hope an employer will sponsor me for the 186...

Is this realistic? Or do they push you to the 457 (which I think is now 482). I am an ICT Business Analyst

This is usually very difficult, as most employers will not take the risk of sponsoring you straight to Permanent Residency. Many large companies have specific internal Polices that they will not sponsor for a 186 visa, until at least 2 to 3 years on a temporary working visa first.

Second, I am here on a Working holiday visa now, so presume I would start work with them straight away, get a bridging visa, then wait for the 186 to be processed? Or can they sponsor me on the basis I start work once approved?

Either is possible.

Third, do they need to sponsor me on a 186 specifically, or could they just sponsor on 457/482 and I apply for 186 independently?

They can sponsor you for a temporary 482. A 186 can not be done independently of a sponsor/employer.

You can apply independently through 189 if you qualify and are invited.

Finally, is there any way to get a 186 without sponsorship?

No.

• Like 2