Salaries in Melbourne

Guest Zagg

Guest Zagg

Hey,

I'll be discussing my salary with my new employers in Melbourne in the not too distant future, and was wondering how much I should be looking to earn?

I earn about £26k a year here, but live in one of the more expensive parts of the country. I think my salary will be at about the same level down under.

What should I be looking for? Have any of you accepted less than you wanted and then struggled to get by afterwards?

Hey,

I'll be discussing my salary with my new employers in Melbourne in the not too distant future, and was wondering how much I should be looking to earn?

I earn about £26k a year here, but live in one of the more expensive parts of the country. I think my salary will be at about the same level down under.

What should I be looking for? Have any of you accepted less than you wanted and then struggled to get by afterwards?

If you just used the current exchange rate then you would be making 52-53k over here, this is about average over in Oz. I think you would feel less comfortable on this than you currently do (just my opinion).

I was in a similar position and asked for a few thousand more than I would earn in the UK. Remember that if they are prepared to ship you over here then they will probably be prepared to negotiate a reasonable salary.

I would suggest about 60k or more. Out of interest what do you do for a living. This might allow others to guide you a bit better.

Hope this helps

DSL

Guest Pinhead

It's not that simple to take your UK salary and multiply it by a factor, it depends what industry you work in, etc.

However as the average salary in the UK is around £25K & Oz around $55K I suspect you'd be looking at a salary around the $55K-$65K mark depending on your skill set,etc.

Guest Zagg
If you just used the current exchange rate then you would be making 52-53k over here, this is about average over in Oz. I think you would feel less comfortable on this than you currently do (just my opinion).

I was in a similar position and asked for a few thousand more than I would earn in the UK. Remember that if they are prepared to ship you over here then they will probably be prepared to negotiate a reasonable salary.

I would suggest about 60k or more. Out of interest what do you do for a living. This might allow others to guide you a bit better.

Hope this helps

DSL

I'm working as a senior editor for an educational publishing company, and will be doing a fairly similar job (perhaps a slight promotion) in Oz.

I'll try to get them to suggest a figure and then bargain from there.

It's not that simple to take your UK salary and multiply it by a factor, it depends what industry you work in, etc.

However as the average salary in the UK is around £25K & Oz around $55K I suspect you'd be looking at a salary around the $55K-$65K mark depending on your skill set,etc.

I would agree.

If I did a simple conversion I make a bit more than I did in the UK, however I was a bit concerned having read many posts on here about the high costs a lot of people had experienced once they had arrived.

I didn't live in a big city back home and had a small mortage, so I was a little worried about whether I would be earning enough.

I am sure all will be fine as you earn a decent salary, just get as much out of your new employer as possible.

DSL

Archived