Family Unit Questions on Partner Visa - Clarification required

GB1978

Hi

After weeks of reading up on the partner visa and getting our various bits of evidence prepared, I finally started on the online application form tonight. I had a slight question on a couple of related questions.

On page 11 of the online application, it says 'Does the applicant have any members of their family unit not travelling to Australia who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents?' Am I right to assume the definition of family unit means immediate family - i.e partner and children.  I have answered 'No' as my wife is Australian and we have just about to submit Australian citizenship applications for our two children. Or does family unit have a wider definition, i.e my parents and sister who are not migrating to Australia?

On page 12, it then asks for information on immediate family members of the applicant, e.g. my father and asks for his Australian immigration status and gives a choice of Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, Temporary Resident, Visitor, Student and Other. A bit unsure on this one as he hasn't been to Australia and therefore has no status, so does that mean he would be 'Other'?

I would appreciate any clarification you can provide

Many thanks!

Members of their family unit in first part of question is just husband or wife n kids, so No is the answer as kids aren't in the application as they'll be citizens (although they're not at the moment), and second half of question, choose Other unless of course they are holders of a visa etc. 

Edited by Beffers
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Beffers said:

Members of their family unit in first part of question is just husband or wife n kids, so No is the answer as kids aren't in the application as they'll be citizens (although they're not at the moment), and second half of question, choose Other unless of course they are holders of a visa etc. 

I'd second this. When I applied our son wasn't technically an Australian citizen but he was going to become one via a separate application and so wasn;t included on the application

• Like 1