Marrying while waiting for 820 decision

Ashmo

My partner is onshore on a 457 and we want to apply for a partner visa under the de facto stream based on having living together for th last 3 years. If we get married sometime in the 12-18mths it takes immigration to assess the 820 would this invalidate our application as we would no longer be de facto? We cant apply for a marriage visa as he needs to stay onshore for work. 

4 hours ago, Ashmo said:

My partner is onshore on a 457 and we want to apply for a partner visa under the de facto stream based on having living together for th last 3 years. If we get married sometime in the 12-18mths it takes immigration to assess the 820 would this invalidate our application as we would no longer be de facto? We cant apply for a marriage visa as he needs to stay onshore for work. 

No it doesn't invalidate it, just means its granted due to being married intead of being de facto. Same subclass, but makes no difference if you get married now or after you apply.

I don't know what you mean about We cant apply for a marriage visa as he needs to stay onshore for work.If he is on a 457 you can just get married now, he doesn't need a specific visa to do so 

A partner visa is just that. There are not different streams for de facto or married couples. Everyone applies for the same partner visa onshore, the 820/801.

If you do marry before the visa is granted, you will need to notify immigration of the change of relationship from de facto to married and your partner upload the marriage cert etc to the immi account for the application.