parent visa 143 - medical situation re: discharged cancertreatment

MarkWW

40 minutes ago, MarkWW said:

Cancer of the nail diagnosed and treated early. Date of discharge 21 March 2017. With this affect my 143 visa application - just lodged Thanks all

Welcome!

If you have just lodged your 143 application you have 6 or 7 years to wait before taking the medical. So I think if you can show you have been clear since 2017 you will not have a problem. If in any doubt it would be worth checking with a good immigration agent.

Also, there is another very long thread on this forum dedicated to parent visas and it’s a gold mine of information.

Good luck!

Thanks Susie - do you know the title of the thread you are referring to please. When I say discharged, I mean that I have no further appointments - they are completely happy! I am with GoMatilda, but their medical contact wants 450$A, for a complete check  - I don't need this. I should also comment that I am advised that the medical will be in 2.5 to 3 years. My concern is that I will not have been technically free from cancer for 5 years. 

46 minutes ago, MarkWW said:

Thanks Susie - do you know the title of the thread you are referring to please. When I say discharged, I mean that I have no further appointments - they are completely happy! I am with GoMatilda, but their medical contact wants 450$A, for a complete check  - I don't need this. I should also comment that I am advised that the medical will be in 2.5 to 3 years. My concern is that I will not have been technically free from cancer for 5 years. 

I’m not any sort of expert, but I have read of people in your situation (with the all clear) passing the medical. I think they were asked for additional information from their own doctors to show everything was ok.

You have a good agent and I would have thought they would be able to help with general guidance on this, without having the extra medical check.

The official processing time for 143 visas is currently 39 to 41 months, but unfortunately this is not accurate and will lengthen considerably over the next few years. There were 38,508 parents queuing for visa at the end of the last financial year (30th June 2017) and only 6,218 visas granted that year. The number will have risen still further this year with possible fewer grants.

When we applied in March 2016 the official wait was 18 to 24 months, we now expect this to be nearer 48 months. It’s been very frustrating and I wish we had learned the truth from the beginning.

My advice would be to make the application then forget about it for a few years. Carry on with your life in the uk as normally as possible, don’t worry about too much about the detail now. And be prepared for lots of changes to the visa system.

Edited by SusieRoo

36 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

I’m not any sort of expert, but I have read of people in your situation (with the all clear) passing the medical. I think they were asked for additional information from their own doctors to show everything was ok.

You have a good agent and I would have thought they would be able to help with general guidance on this, without having the extra medical check.

The official processing time for 143 visas is currently 39 to 41 months, but unfortunately this is not accurate and will lengthen considerably over the next few years. There were 38,508 parents queuing for visa at the end of the last financial year (30th June 2017) and only 6,218 visas granted that year. The number will have risen still further this year with possible fewer grants.

When we applied in March 2016 the official wait was 18 to 24 months, we now expect this to be nearer 48 months. It’s been very frustrating and I wish we had learned the truth from the beginning.

My advice would be to make the application then forget about it for a few years. Carry on with your life in the uk as normally as possible, don’t worry about too much about the detail now. And be prepared for lots of changes to the visa system.

Good information and Great advice Susie - Thank you!

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @MarkWW hopefully @Alan Collett Can help you with this if you are already a paid client. 

‘I think it would depend on where the cancer was, ie certain skin cancers can be less risky than say brain/breast cancer. 

‘I agree with @SusieRoo in that I wouldn’t worry about it now, just go and enjoy your life. I had cancer prior to obtaining my visa and my medical was referred but I still got in. Unfortunately my cancer came back and left me with complications so now I say live each day as it comes. 

46 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Hi @MarkWW hopefully @Alan Collett Can help you with this if you are already a paid client. 

‘I think it would depend on where the cancer was, ie certain skin cancers can be less risky than say brain/breast cancer. 

‘I agree with @SusieRoo in that I wouldn’t worry about it now, just go and enjoy your life. I had cancer prior to obtaining my visa and my medical was referred but I still got in. Unfortunately my cancer came back and left me with complications so now I say live each day as it comes. 

I wish you well, I am so sorry that the cancer returned - kindest regards

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

No problem at all. Good luck to you, please stay on the forum and let us know how you go on. I would also try posting on the thread above as a lot of the parents don’t visit other sections of the forum and post all their news, updates etc on the parent visa thread. There are many on there who have had help issues and worry about the medical part so you aren’t alone. 

‘Where are you hoping to move to?

Depends - our son is a dentist in East Suburbs, Sydney - property is central London prices! 

So maybe, if there's a property crash, or we may all move to Burleigh Heads

Reading the posts though, sounds like it could be 4 years until visa is granted, so, plenty of time to consider.

Amazing the waiting list for people prepared to spend over $100K.

Kind regards