Clarkson discovering real Australia

Bulya

Love it, Bully!

As I always say when passing one of those road trains, another hundred tonnes of sh*t”.

Great fun overtaking those road trains...The last  ‘dog’ has a sway of up to 2 metres. Once saw a convoy of 13 caravans, a road train, then another 14 caravans , all going about 80 kmh. Wondered how long it took for the roadtrain to pass that lot. There are signs all though The Territory saving the road trains are 53 metres long.

Victoria River Downs, In the NT, was reputed to be the bigggest cattle station in the world at the beginning of the 20th century, at 27 million acres. Anna Plains, in South Australia has that honour, now, at a whopping 7 million acres. VRD has, I think, 6 helicopters for mustering cattle  

Odd spot, VRD is NOT on the Victoria River,, but on the Wickham, a tributary. Another; The Fizzer, in JEANNIE gunn’ s book, ‘ We Of The Never Never’ was alleged to have drowned in the Wickham, after helping a pregnant lady cross the swollen river.

Cheers, Bobj.

And another...those bull catchers, I have seen brand new Toyotas bought, stripped down and used for a couple of months, then discarded and the blokes going to Kununurra and buying a new one with a roll of ££ taken out till good enough toof their pockets.. That was in the1960s around Carlton Hill and Lejune Stations. They got big money catching the scrub bulls. The station managers were trying to upgrade the bloodlines of the cattle and the ’scrubbies’ were a menace, but still worth putting in the road trains.

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
Punct.