Moving to Melb in Sept

Guest JayJayOx

Guest JayJayOx

Hi,

Well I have finally decided to transfer with work to Melbourne, Im 23 years old and looking to live in Oz for 6 months to a year, I have the option to stay longer if I want or get on the first plane back home to the UK!!!!!

I have been on holiday to Oz before about 2 years ago now, and have always been thinking maybe I should go and see what its like and I know if I dont go, I will always be thinking What if..........

Im a bit worried about settling in and making some friends, but I guess thats why Im going for the new experience.

Has anyone been in a similar situation to myself? Are there any Poms currently living in the CBD in Melb if so wots it like?

I cant wait to hear back your thoughts, as at the moment Im thinking, what the hell am I doing going to a different country with no friends or family, and to be honest Im not sure I am doing the right thing....................

:wubclub:

Hi, Welcome to Poms In Oz. We havent been yet (going in March) but I have heard Melbourne is one of the friendlest cities in Australia, so dont think you will have a problem. There are lots of people on this site from that area, I am sure they will share their experiences with you and put your mind at rest. I say go for it.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

Welcome to PIO. I think you are making the right decision because like you said if you didn't do it now you would be left wondering. You are young and will easily make friends, there are lots of expats living in the CBD and I am sure they will come on and say hi soon. You will probably also make friends through your employer.

Guest rshelly
Hi,

Well I have finally decided to transfer with work to Melbourne, Im 23 years old and looking to live in Oz for 6 months to a year, I have the option to stay longer if I want or get on the first plane back home to the UK!!!!!

I have been on holiday to Oz before about 2 years ago now, and have always been thinking maybe I should go and see what its like and I know if I dont go, I will always be thinking What if..........

Im a bit worried about settling in and making some friends, but I guess thats why Im going for the new experience.

Has anyone been in a similar situation to myself? Are there any Poms currently living in the CBD in Melb if so wots it like?

I cant wait to hear back your thoughts, as at the moment Im thinking, what the hell am I doing going to a different country with no friends or family, and to be honest Im not sure I am doing the right thing....................

:wubclub:

Hi Jay Jay,

glad to hear someone else is thinking of doing the same thing as me! Most people moving to Australia seem to be moving with a partner and/or have a family which I'm sure must help when making such a big decision to live abroad as you have their emotional support, but I am considering making the big move to melbourne on my own:err:

The way I see it is that you can give it a try and see if you enjoy life there, if not there's nothing to stop you coming home, its only a flight away. I went travelling across Oz about 5 years ago and it was the best time of my life and have wanted to go back ever since. Its only now that I have a recognised profession that im in a position to actually go there again so waiting for my visa application to be decided. Im sure I will miss friends and family but life's too short not to find out and there are so many people out there in the same situation looking to make friends that I would hope making friends shouldn't be an issue.

For me, the great weather and outdoor lifestyle that goes with it is too strong a pull not to give it a shot. Im fed up with rainy summers, commuting on cramped tubes and generally spending a fortune for a meagre existence in UK so cant wait to get out there!

Archived