Renting with dogs in Melbourne suburbs

richandniki

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/renters-with-pets-in-for-ruff-ride/

what is people’s experiences like of finding rentals in Melbourne when bringing 2 dogs over? I’ve read re the new legislation hoping to come in re pets and rentals but am aware that it will be 2019 before it’s approved.

be great to hear what the reality is like.

thanks in advance 

Guest The Pom Queen
3 hours ago, richandniki said:

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/renters-with-pets-in-for-ruff-ride/

what is people’s experiences like of finding rentals in Melbourne when bringing 2 dogs over? I’ve read re the new legislation hoping to come in re pets and rentals but am aware that it will be 2019 before it’s approved.

be great to hear what the reality is like.

thanks in advance 

A lot depends on which Suburb you want to settle. Just because realestate doesn’t say pets welcome don’t let that put you off as the majority will. What some landlords will ask is that the dogs are kept outside which seems to be the norm.

19 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

A lot depends on which Suburb you want to settle. Just because realestate doesn’t say pets welcome don’t let that put you off as the majority will. What some landlords will ask is that the dogs are kept outside which seems to be the norm.

Also depends whether you're talking about a house or an apartment.  I'm in an inner city apartment block.  It is full of hipsters (renting) and every second person seems to have a greyhound.  Obviously being in an apartment, there's not the option to keep them outside. 

I have to say, the reason I notice the dogs so much is because they're so desperate to "go" by the time their owner takes them out, we've had a few accidents in the lift....

Edited by Marisawright

Guest The Pom Queen
12 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Also depends whether you're talking about a house or an apartment.  I'm in an inner city apartment block.  It is full of hipsters (renting) and every second person seems to have a greyhound.  Obviously being in an apartment, there's not the option to keep them outside. 

I have to say, the reason I notice the dogs so much is because they're so desperate to "go" by the time their owner takes them out, we've had a few accidents in the lift....

I’m really surprised re apartment blocks as bodycorps use to be nightmares and even if the landlord didn’t mind they had to refuse.

13 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I’m really surprised re apartment blocks as bodycorps use to be nightmares and even if the landlord didn’t mind they had to refuse.

The strata rules have changed a lot in recent years and it's actually quite difficult for body corporates to refuse pets.

This page might be useful:

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing/renting/applying-for-a-rental-property-or-room/pets-and-renting

It says:

"However, a landlord or owner cannot serve a tenant or resident with a Notice for breach of duty simply for breaking a ‘no pets’ clause in a tenancy agreement, if there has not been damage or nuisance."

Edited by billynomates
Added quote from page