EOI - help with updating work experience

andana

Hi all, 

Looking for some help with updating our EOI. my partner submitted EOI last month - he has 65 points. Looks like it will be a wait to be selected with 65 points so we wanted to update it to get 70 points. we want to try and get more points for work experience. My partner is applying under the  joiner category but we only claimed 4 y of work experience but now we want to claim additional year to get to 5 years. He worked for 6 months as a joiner in australia and 6 m in canada but on the payslips it says carpenter (aus) and cabinetmaker ( canada) although he was doing all taksks related to joinery but those roles are called differently in different countries . My question is, would this be a problem that payslips do not say joiner ? We have bank statements to prove weekly wages and also will get referencess from the employers stating exactly what tasks/jobs he did - to show this was joinery. Will this be enough?

Also, do referencess need to be in a specific format/is there a template? Or headed paper from the employer should be enough? 

Any halp kuch appreciated ! Thanks very much ! :):) 

I’m not sure how it works with trades, but my skills assessment showed what I could/couldn’t use for experience. For example, I had a lot of years experience in a job that accurately matched the ANZSCO occupation I was applying for, but skills assessment docked 1 year experience citing that it would take a full year on the job before I had sufficient practical experience to perform adequately in the occupation. As the visa assessors use the skills assessment as a basis for years relevant experience, I didn’t deviate from that as the worst thing you can do is overclaim points to get further up the queue and then not be able to back them up with evidence. If you’re only 6 months shy, then if your EOI sits in the queue for 6 months, it’ll automatically update and give you the extra 5 points provided you’re still in employment. I had that happen to me also. Whilst waiting for State sponsorship my points increased as I went into the top work experience points bracket.

The reference letters needs to be in the form of a statement of works, ie what your job entailed, rather than a reference saying how good you are at your job etc

13 hours ago, ABG said:

I’m not sure how it works with trades, but my skills assessment showed what I could/couldn’t use for experience. For example, I had a lot of years experience in a job that accurately matched the ANZSCO occupation I was applying for, but skills assessment docked 1 year experience citing that it would take a full year on the job before I had sufficient practical experience to perform adequately in the occupation. As the visa assessors use the skills assessment as a basis for years relevant experience, I didn’t deviate from that as the worst thing you can do is overclaim points to get further up the queue and then not be able to back them up with evidence. If you’re only 6 months shy, then if your EOI sits in the queue for 6 months, it’ll automatically update and give you the extra 5 points provided you’re still in employment. I had that happen to me also. Whilst waiting for State sponsorship my points increased as I went into the top work experience points bracket.

The reference letters needs to be in the form of a statement of works, ie what your job entailed, rather than a reference saying how good you are at your job etc

Hi :) thanks for taking time to get back to us! We got skills assessment but the letter only says that its positive. It does not say how many years of experience my partner has. ( for a joiner we had to submit proof for at least 3 years to get a positive skills assessment). We did not submit evidence for his work in aus as we could not get the references and thought that 65 points will be enough. (we have now managed to get hold of someone after numerous attempts bbut we finally got it).  We also did the skills assessment in july and now we live in Canada so wanted to count this work experience too (from Sep to present). Weare about 12 m short so wanted to add aus exoerience and from canada to get to 5 y. Just wondering if this is an issue if payslips do not have 'joiner' on them, 

And re references - thanks, yes we have then stating exactly what kind of work he was doing, with examples of joinery work etc. 

Thanks again! 

Aldona :)

If the Australian experience hasn’t been assessed, I’d be wary of including it, unless you have evidence at least as strong as that assessed by Vetassess. DIBP may be curious why you never included the Aus experience initially in the skills assessment and might do extra digging there. The Canadian experience is easier to explain as it’s a job change post skills assessment