Driving License and Car Insurance

ajcooper

My wife has made her way back to the UK with the kids and is slowly trudging through treacle trying to re-establish our lives over there.  Can't get a rental as we can't get references (and we've got dogs), but the big thing is driving.

Our licenses expired whilst away and it seems difficult to get renewed.  Has anyone any thoughts on what needs to be done?  She's sent off the D1 form but wasn't clear if that was correct.  Also, what about car insurance.  She's under the impression she can't get insurance until she has her UK license reinstated, will anyone insure based on the Australia license?

Any help appreciated.

It's a long time since but when my OH moved to the UK he simply swapped his Australian license for a UK one, a bit like when you move to Australia.  I don't know about insurance as I can't remember if he bought his car before or after changing his license.

2 minutes ago, NicF said:

It's a long time since but when my OH moved to the UK he simply swapped his Australian license for a UK one, a bit like when you move to Australia.  I don't know about insurance as I can't remember if he bought his car before or after changing his license.

Thanks.  Exchanging is possible, but as we already have (expired) UK licenses we were hoping it was easier just to renew them.  Seemingly not!

The photo ID needed to be renewed. And can only do that if resident in the UK. And must be done every 10 years. As you’ve been resident in Aus and not living in the UK when the renewal notice came through, it may be swapping is the only option. Don’t see that as a biggie tbh. 

A UK DL is not a for life thing as the old licence paper was. As with many countries, they have a shorter life span and need updating if resident in the country. 

1 hour ago, Martinbjulieb said:

@ajcooper My husbands licence had expired, we just got the forms from the postoffice, had a new photo done and sent it off. If you have your expired licence then send that too. Then once you have your licence you can change addresses online through the GOV.UK website.

Thanks for that.  She ended up doing what you've suggested so fingers crossed it comes through.

• Like 1