Buying a house

uktravel

Hello, 

Was wondering if any one could put some clarity to mine and my partners questions. He is an Australian citizen and I am from the UK. I am currently living in Australia on a bridging visa awaiting a partner visa. We are wondering whether I can be on the paper work for the house as he is a citizen or whether I can't because I am not yet a permanent resident? 

I've read multiple things online. 

McKenna 

Hello

I recently bought a house with my wife in Victoria at the time I wasn't a permanent resident was still waiting on my verdict but needed to be on the papers to have enough finance for the house.

The simple answer is yes you can be on the paperwork and buy a house without approval from the Foreign investment review board as you are buying a house with an Australian Citizen.

But You will be treated as a foreign investor and have to pay extra stamp duty on your 50% of the house. ( they hit me up for an extra $12,000)  If you can get a mortgage just on your Partners wage I would save the money and put the house in your partners name and when you become a permanent resident put your name on the papers. If my circumstances were different that's what I would of done.

Hope this Helps

Hello, 
Was wondering if any one could put some clarity to mine and my partners questions. He is an Australian citizen and I am from the UK. I am currently living in Australia on a bridging visa awaiting a partner visa. We are wondering whether I can be on the paper work for the house as he is a citizen or whether I can't because I am not yet a permanent resident? 
I've read multiple things online. 

McKenna 

My husband and I were both 457 visa holders when we purchased. We did it before the FIRB fees came into play and didn’t pay a different rate of stamp duty either so that may have been a recent change too, but irrespective of what it may cost to do these days-it can certainly be done [emoji4]

Sorry I forgot to say before,
Not all the banks lend to non permanent residents so you would have to find one willing to lend money to a non permanent resident. I got one through Bank Australia

Yep, and we went through St George. It’s odd....St George would do it, but are part of Westpac who wouldn’t ... ?

Archived