car running costs Queensland

aurora

I'm trying to work out running costs for 2 x medium cars in Queensland. In the Uk we have a vw Touran and large vw golf estate but could consider a bit smaller in australia - however a comparison would be good. We average about £30 diesel in UK. What other running costs are required for Queensland and if anyone could give a rough idea of costs that would be very helpful!

Have moved this to the Qld section of the forum for you.

You might want to start here

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/buying/rules

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/buying/rules/used

Fwiw, not in the same state but I'd not run either of those over here. 

Much will depend on what you want the car for. If its just commuting, then I'd look for something small and nippy with decent air con. If you want 4WD or beach driving and so on, look to one of the Japanese or S Korean companies IMHO. Family car, get just that. 

TBH we don't run anything fancy here. Given a) how people drive and b) how we mostly only drive locally in and around the city we live in, we really don't need to splash out $40K on some brand new big car that will only be driven into the CBD and back 4 days a week while I work and around the area on weekends and occasional road trip. We bought and still have an Astra (I don't like it much but it drives well, paid about 6K for it 4.5 years ago and have done about 80,000 KM in it now. I've had dings in carparks, near misses from rubbish drivers who don't want to share the road and other things and am more than happy to drive it still. 

thanks for your reply. so, running costs look similar to UK with registration, mot equivalent and insurance? anything else? will have to do some digging to get an idea of these costs.

we will need cars for short commutes to work and for mountain biking/surfing so prefer a car we can put bikes and boards in but not end of world if go on bike/roof rack. No to beach driving - hate hate hate seeing that here in the UK and nothing fancy as will be used for bikes etc. is fuel still relative cheap?

On 22/01/2018 at 16:24, aurora said:

thanks for your reply. so, running costs look similar to UK with registration, mot equivalent and insurance? anything else? will have to do some digging to get an idea of these costs.

we will need cars for short commutes to work and for mountain biking/surfing so prefer a car we can put bikes and boards in but not end of world if go on bike/roof rack. No to beach driving - hate hate hate seeing that here in the UK and nothing fancy as will be used for bikes etc. is fuel still relative cheap?

Registration is the main expense outside of fuel and insurance of course. If you can get away with a 4 cylinder it will be much cheaper rego, I think about $600 a year from memory. 

• Thanks 1

Registration is about $650 for a 4 cylinder car. That includes compulsory 3rd party insurance, which covers personal injury only, not damage to other parties vehicle.
There is no MoT equivalent in QLD. You must maintain a car in roadworthy condition, but there is no annual inspection. Other states are different.

• Thanks 1