Foreign Lawyer's qualification Assessment

Abrar Wains

hello, 

I am qualified and practicing lawyer of Pakistan. I started practice in March, 2014 but came to Melbourne, Australia in August 2015 on student visa. I've finished my Masters of Professional Accounting in june, 2017. At the moment I'm on post graduate work visa and doing professional year. I am struggling to gain maximum points for my permanent residency file. As its getting hard to get PR for accountants so i'm thinking to go for my LLB Degree assessment also. 

now, my question is, where should i go for my qualification assessment as an overseas lawyer? i'm confused by the different assessment bodies of different states. Is it possible to apply for assessment in victoria and then go for immigration in Canberra? please give me advice and share any link of degree assessing bodies or anything like that .

To meet the skills assessment requirement you must be admitted to an SLAA as a barrister or solicitor.

You are required to be assessed under the state or territory in which you are to practice. For detailed information, contact:

• New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory

Legal Practitioners Admission Board

• Queensland

The Secretary, Barristers and Solicitors Board

• South Australia

The Registrar, Legal Practitioners Registry

• Tasmania

The Secretary, Board of Legal Education

• Victoria

The Secretary, Council of Legal Education

• Western Australia

The Secretary, Legal Practice Board