Cancelling my Gym's direct debit

leedarama

hi all,

We are moving in mid January to Australia, so on Monday 4th December I cancelled my gym membership. However I missed the deadline for the NEXT month by 1 business day (Friday 1st Dec). The Gym is now saying I have to pay for the month of January as well as I missed the cutoff. I was very annoyed by this so I just cancelled my direct debit with the bank with them.

My question now is.. what will happen? I presume they will chase me, but what will happen really? What can do they do me if I am in another country and no longer living in the UK?  We have no plans to move back to the UK for a very long time (at least 10 years!).

19 hours ago, leedarama said:

hi all,

We are moving in mid January to Australia, so on Monday 4th December I cancelled my gym membership. However I missed the deadline for the NEXT month by 1 business day (Friday 1st Dec). The Gym is now saying I have to pay for the month of January as well as I missed the cutoff. I was very annoyed by this so I just cancelled my direct debit with the bank with them.

My question now is.. what will happen? I presume they will chase me, but what will happen really? What can do they do me if I am in another country and no longer living in the UK?  We have no plans to move back to the UK for a very long time (at least 10 years!).

They will chase it and eventually pass on the debt (which will increase significantly) to a debt collection agency and your credit rating in the UK will be affected, after 6 years without contact the you will get a clean slate so to speak. Personally If it's the only debt you are leaving behind I would pay it better not to burn any bridges.

Agree, just pay it. You would have signed terms and conditions that would have stated you have to pay for a full month even if you only use part of it or something along those lines.  The fee is for monthly use and you've used part of it albeit only one day. You can ignore it yes but they may well register it with a debt agency and is it really worth it? 

Archived