Short term let in Melbourne

Guest JacquiHH

Guest JacquiHH

My husband has just excepted a job in Melbourne & we are waiting for his 457 visa. We are debating on whether to bring all our belongings over so if we do will obviously need a short term furnished let whilst we wait for them. Our main issue is that we have 4 children so will need 2-3 beds on a 3 - 6 month basis. Is this possible? Is there a company that someone could recommend that deals with this type of rental property?

Also just wondering if it would be easier and/or cheaper to ebay all our stuff here and buy new when we get there. That way we don't need to short term let!! And do lettings agents accept overseas client without meeting them face to face??

Decisions, decisions..... Any advice greatly received x

:jiggy:

Morning I know its difficult but I think its better to wait until you get here unless you are sure of the area you would be renting in. Holiday houses are let on short term basis but of course they are in the holiday areas and not close in to the city. Also you can get furnished apartments but they tend to be very expensive but if it was for a short while I think they do charge a lower rate.

It was in the Sydney papers yesterday that unscrupulous people are taking deposits from people for rentals that do not exist you and I am sure that it will not be long before people in Melbourne follow suit if they have not already done so.

If you have not been to Australia before and are coming from a city in England its totally different and Melbourne is such a large area and you can end up being isolated as the lass in Queensland is in Tambourine.

I think its important to take things very slowly at first and of course that is difficult with children. Have a look at Realestate.com.au and also at Domain.com.au rentals are listed on these sites. Also agents that you can contact.

Good luck I am sure others will have more information for you shortly as people wake, my dh has already left for work

Guest itskaren
My husband has just excepted a job in Melbourne & we are waiting for his 457 visa. We are debating on whether to bring all our belongings over so if we do will obviously need a short term furnished let whilst we wait for them. Our main issue is that we have 4 children so will need 2-3 beds on a 3 - 6 month basis. Is this possible? Is there a company that someone could recommend that deals with this type of rental property?

Also just wondering if it would be easier and/or cheaper to ebay all our stuff here and buy new when we get there. That way we don't need to short term let!! And do lettings agents accept overseas client without meeting them face to face??

Hi we have been in Melbourne for 6 months now (from ~Bath). We have 2 boys 8 and 10. I think you will struggle to get a short term let unless it is a holiday accommodation. the mimimum is 12 months. Even then when you do find somewhere it is a stampede. We had 20 people in half an hour looking at our rental property. then it was like an 'auction' on the rent! It is a pitiful situation.

We decided to bring 'nothing'. We came wth one suitcase each. When we did get a house we shopped around the garage sales (like personal boot sales!). We have had some great bargains. I will be quite happliy have one myself and get rid of everything once we find a place of our own. I can imagine it with more children!

We originally rented a fully furnished let in Mt Martha and had the landlady from hell. (She was deputy head of a local private school). We ended up staying there for 8 weeks then paid her off as she was mentally unwell I would say!!!

So you need to be careful. The place we have is ok. It is a 3 bed place but walking distance to the school. We just cannot choose because everything just goes.

Sorry I cannot offer more advice but it is just a nightmare. We are going to a few property auctions soom so hopefully have our own place. This house will accommodate you all for a year or so if you are interested and the timing is right. Or we could sub let if the agent lets us! We pay $1600 per month plus bills.

Good luck!

Guest itskaren

Sorry by thge way we live in Mooroolbark just off the Lillydale line Eastern side of melbourne.

karen

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Jacqui

It really depends on where you want to be, we have a variety of furnished rental properties available around Melbourne and have just let one of our properties to a family with 4 children like yourself. We are just organising the best option for airport pick up at the moment. There is another one of the PIO members who also has rental accommodation available who could help.

In regards to the furniture we decided that it was cheaper to start again when we arrived here. I know some of our friends who have shipped their furniture out but because they arrived before the furniture they ended up buying fridge/freezers, beds etc whilst they waited. So it didn't prove very cost effective.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Jacqui

Where abouts in Melbourne are you looking for short term rental.

We have a 3 bedroom house in McCrae (about 1.5 hrs south of Melb. CBD)

We often rent for short term periods and if interested we could send you pictures, costs and area description.

The property is walking distance to beach and shops on the Mornington Peninsula - a very liveable part of the world.

Andrew

labylart@impaq.com.au

Guest JacquiHH
Dear Jacqui

Where abouts in Melbourne are you looking for short term rental.

We have a 3 bedroom house in McCrae (about 1.5 hrs south of Melb. CBD)

We often rent for short term periods and if interested we could send you pictures, costs and area description.

The property is walking distance to beach and shops on the Mornington Peninsula - a very liveable part of the world.

Andrew

labylart@impaq.com.au

Thanks for the reply & offer of your short term rental... I think McCrae is going to be too far we are looking within a 30-40 min commute from Richmond. Probably Bayside area, from Brighton down to Aspendale, please let me know if you know anyone who has a short-term furnished or long-term unfurnished rental in that area... Thanks again x

Archived