189 visa - skilled employment assessment

Cherith12

Hi

My husband has a BEng(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering, and has worked for 20 years in various roles for engineering companies but never specifically as a Mechanical Engineer. Previous roles include Project Engineer, Production Engineer, Planning Engineer and Project Controls Manager.

To apply for the visa based on the occupation of Mechanical Engineer (we think this is best?) we are aware that he needs to get his degree assessed by Engineers Australia. However in order to gain the full points for work experience is it best to get his skills assessed by Engineers Australia? Or can this experience be assessed via the EOI without paying Engineers Australia to do it?

4 minutes ago, Cherith12 said:

Hi

My husband has a BEng(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering, and has worked for 20 years in various roles for engineering companies but never specifically as a Mechanical Engineer. Previous roles include Project Engineer, Production Engineer, Planning Engineer and Project Controls Manager.

To apply for the visa based on the occupation of Mechanical Engineer (we think this is best?) we are aware that he needs to get his degree assessed by Engineers Australia. However in order to gain the full points for work experience is it best to get his skills assessed by Engineers Australia? Or can this experience be assessed via the EOI without paying Engineers Australia to do it?

He can't apply for a 189 without a valid skills assessment. An EOI does not get him a skills assessment, he needs to get that before submitting the EOI.

I have just had my skills assessment back from Engineers Australia through the Washington accord pathway. I paid for fast track and it took only 14 days total. Regarding skills assessment its is best to have Engineers Australia do an assessment at the same time as the skills assessment and then back this up with pay slips, contracts, P60's etc. for visa when invited to apply as you say the important thing is confirming the relevance of the employment to the nominated occupation. DIBP will consider the outcome of the work experience assessment by Engineers Australia as strong advice and require less convincing of the fact by yourself for points claims.