Cleaning for shipment

SimonandSian

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed a lot previously but I couldn’t find it in a search.

We are packing up our stuff for shipment and starting to clean shoes / bikes / vacuum etc.

Would just like some advice on how worried we should be about this... is every single box/item checked the other side? 

I’m not looking to cut corners and will be using a heap of jeyesfluid on the bikes and outdoor stuff, but i have just spent an hour trying to clean the dyson internally and have done the best i can, but i’m Sure there are still specs of dust etc inside. If it is inspected and expected to be spotless I’m a  bit concerned it might be an issue!?

If an issue is identified in customs - are we looking at a fine and confiscation of the item? 

Has anyone got any experience of issues the other side, or are there some good news stories of it all being ok in the end?!

Many thanks

Simon and Sian

it likely depends on a lot of variables.

Some stuff will be looked at others not so much. and not always what you expect.

Our Christmas decs and a box of shoes were looked at, but my mountain bike remained bubble wrapped and apparently not even looked at

Customs will check the inventory and decide what,if anything , to check. Things don't  have to be spotless but they do have to be clean, just use your common sense. Mud on bikes for example needs to be removed. The removalists told me to wash out the Dyson dust container but that took me 5 minutes.

Some bizarre things get checked, Xmas decs often get checked, apparently there is a type of pine that is a no no,

If something fails the checks you will be given the option of paying to have it treated or paying to have it disposed of.  Depends what it is but you will probbably pay a couple of hundred dollars. I had to have 2 dog beds treated, they had been washed but custons insisted on irradiating them. They only cost $10 in the first place!

Just be sensible about it, clean stuff but don't make it surgically sterile.

1 hour ago, ScottieGirl said:

Customs will check the inventory and decide what,if anything , to check. Things don't  have to be spotless but they do have to be clean, just use your common sense. Mud on bikes for example needs to be removed. The removalists told me to wash out the Dyson dust container but that took me 5 minutes.

Some bizarre things get checked, Xmas decs often get checked, apparently there is a type of pine that is a no no,

If something fails the checks you will be given the option of paying to have it treated or paying to have it disposed of.  Depends what it is but you will probbably pay a couple of hundred dollars. I had to have 2 dog beds treated, they had been washed but custons insisted on irradiating them. They only cost $10 in the first place!

Just be sensible about it, clean stuff but don't make it surgically sterile.

That’s really helpful and reassuring. Thank you very much! :)

Archived