Rpl assessment for pipefitters

bwatt99

I have probably asked this a million times im a pipefitter from uk with 23 yrs experience. Been in australia 4 and half years and had the odd job but nothing like when i was in uk.

A lot of jobs i got knocked back on and even with my experience and qualifications and background it did not matter.

Some guys i have worked with have been here 25 yrs and still dont have it and others i met little bit longer than me and again same. Yet i have spoken to managers who said its not really needed and some employers saying its needed but never really said just was asked if it had.

What gets me is im applying for pipefitters job am a qualified pipefitter but yet i cant or dont get it due to no australian qualification lol.

I know there is a downturn in work in wa at the moment but there have been jobs that I applied and never got even though my background and experience is right up there.

I even questioned an employer i got knocked back on about a month ago regarding why i was,guy looked at my details and said was not sure why I was rejected and would i still interested. So i said yes they called next day and said we would love to take you on but its down to the client if they require the qualification and are waiting to hear back from them.

I know where this is going to go a second time knock back from same employer but who knows.

So as much as i hate to get a qualification that really proves nothing and finding it's becoming more of a wanted or requirement i thought i better get it.

I have been out of work 18 months possibly longer and tons of rejected jobs and yes should have been something i should have got from day one coming here but that was down to me being silly.

My question is im in wa im out of work and do i get some sort of help towards getting rpl which might get me employment  and is there any places that can provide this qualification like in a day or two if you have enough evidence etc etc. I know there wasva guy few years back who did this but no longer doing it.

I was going to use and maybe will vetassess but can take 6 weeks.

If i landed this job without the australian qualification then great im going to go ahead with qualification anyway as its hold me back.

But i contacted some colleges etc and some was asking silly prices on fees compared to vetassess. But is there anyone who has used anyone else and had it done asap.

As if im knocked back on this job and i get qualification quick enough i still a chance.or they might still have a slot later but dont think that happen.

I believe i would need: Certificate III in Engineering – Fabrication Trade (MEM30305)

Brian

• 2 months later...

Hi Brian

i don't have any advice, just might be in the same boat with my husband if we come to Perth so interested to hear what you decide..

We were out there a few years back and he managed to get a job through hays working for a British company.. Have you tried adapting your CV to say metal fabricator rather than pipefitter as this seems to be the closest job description we found? Do you mind me asking how you got a visa? 

there's a shipping place in henderson/ kwinana. Have you tried there?