Moving Tobacco and alcohol

samwise

10 minutes ago, samwise said:

I was wondering the quantity of tobacco / cigarettes and alcohol I am allowed per person to carry with me when I move to Australia. Also, is there any provision to move such items by ship / cargo? My movers told me not to pack any such stuff.

I am moving from Dubai.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Alcohol. Up to 2.25 litres of alcoholic beverages (liquor, wine and champagne) per adult (passenger must be 18 years or over) can be brought into Australia duty-free. All alcohol in accompanied baggage is included in this category.

From 1 July 2017, the duty free allowance for all travellers bringing tobacco products into Australia will be reduced from 50 grams to 25 grams of tobacco, as well as one open packet. The new allowance includes tobacco in any form (cigarette, loose leaf, etc). Travellers with more than this amount will be required to pay duty on all tobacco in their possession, unless they agree to dispose of the excess.

Each adult is permitted to enter Australia with 25 units.

Your shipper  is correct!

Alcohol. Up to 2.25 litres of alcoholic beverages (liquor, wine and champagne) per adult (passenger must be 18 years or over) can be brought into Australia duty-free. All alcohol in accompanied baggage is included in this category.

From 1 July 2017, the duty free allowance for all travellers bringing tobacco products into Australia will be reduced from 50 grams to 25 grams of tobacco, as well as one open packet. The new allowance includes tobacco in any form (cigarette, loose leaf, etc). Travellers with more than this amount will be required to pay duty on all tobacco in their possession, unless they agree to dispose of the excess.

Each adult is permitted to enter Australia with 25 units.

Your shipper  is correct!

Also, for the 2.25 litres of alcohol allowance, one needs to carry it from duty free shops at departure / arrival Airport Only. You can’t carry the ones you have lying at home I guess. Correct me please if I am wrong.

1 hour ago, samwise said:

Also, for the 2.25 litres of alcohol allowance, one needs to carry it from duty free shops at departure / arrival Airport Only. You can’t carry the ones you have lying at home I guess. Correct me please if I am wrong.

I have bought back on many occasions duty paid spirits that I have had overseas and as long as it complies with the allowance you should be fine.. however you cannot take a volume of liquid over the 100mls into the sterile area so it will have to go in the hold.

Regarding vaping samwise, I have no idea but have a look at this link...https://safesmoke.com.au/australian-laws/.

7 hours ago, samwise said:

Buy it in Sainsbury's wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in your suitcase. That's  what I do loads cheaper than duty free at Sydney  airport. Plus you can't  buy it at duty free at an Airport outside Australia, a rort to get people to buy on arrival.

2 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

Buy it in Sainsbury's wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in your suitcase. That's  what I do loads cheaper than duty free at Sydney  airport. Plus you can't  buy it at duty free at an Airport outside Australia, a rort to get people to buy on arrival.

He/She is moving from Dubai and I havent seen a Sainsburys nestled in the dunes there !  .... if the  "Movers" said not to pack it, I would imagine that the OP has alcohol they were considering packing.   I often see on my travels duty free retailers provide a gate service.... Imo the word duty free has become somewhat of a rort in many places of the world, the UK being the biggest offender but Australia is very generous with its allowances and I personally dont find the cost of spirits too prohibitive. 

It very much depends whether ...

You can purchase duty free items:

• at the last airport you stop at before entering Australia if the duty free retailer provides a gate delivery service
  • onboard the last leg of your flight to Australia
  • upon arrival at an Australian international airport.

I am moving out from Dubai to Oz. No Sainsbury’s here! [emoji17]

6 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

We've bought alcohol in Singapore airport before now with no issues.  As Evandale states above the duty free retailers in the airports will often provide a gate service for duty free.  Especially in airports that are regularly used as transit airports.

Archived