No Funds For Breast Cancer Testing In OZ

Guest263228

Globally recognised technology that could spare thousands of cancer sufferer patents un necessary chemotherapy will remain out of reach for many in Australia.

The test known as Oncotype DY is available in USA, Canada, UK and most Rest of Europe on government funding.

A somewhat poor indictment on the Australian medical system it could well be said.  

I think you mean DX not DY?

I'm certainly not going to disagree with you, but I have to say that the regular breast screening system is excellent here on the Sunshine Coast,  it is free every 2 years up to age 74, and on request after that.

In Uk it's every 3 years up to age 70 in most areas.

I think your heading is a bit misleading.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

Well yes sorry I did of course mean DX. Misleading ? How exactly? The purpose being the test would show which women may be able to avoid chemotherapy. Better heeled people are able to pay for themselves. (Some 1,000 have paid for themselves since 2014)

Fact being most other wealthy nations do so at no cost. Even USA. I am fully aware of the testing as my partner has it due to family background. This is something a step further.

6 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Well yes sorry I did of course mean DX. Misleading ? How exactly? The purpose being the test would show which women may be able to avoid chemotherapy. Better heeled people are able to pay for themselves. (Some 1,000 have paid for themselves since 2014)

Fact being most other wealthy nations do so at no cost. Even USA. I am fully aware of the testing as my partner has it due to family background. This is something a step further.

Because until you read  the post it implies that there is no funding for breast cancer testing at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ramot said:

Because until you read  the post it implies that there is no funding for breast cancer testing at all.

Well one just needs to read on to discover the meaning. Like headlines in newspapers a heading duty is to catch attention. I consider rather mean spirited anyway. The heading hardly matters. The matter does.

Yes it sounds like it would be beneficial to many to have this test. But all healthcare systems make priority decisions, even within the UK the health funding is so variable, much more so than Aus in my experience. My son (born in UK) has a genetic condition that puts him at higher cancer risk than normal children. The UK doesn't follow the international guidelines for management of his condition which calls for 3 monthly ultrasounds to detect cancers earlier. Aus (and many other countries around the world, the USA included) do the ultrasounds. It all comes down to cost and which patient groups can justify that they are a priority

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk