Funding aged parent

Guest Dunteaching

Guest Dunteaching

August 2007 - husband and I moving to Victoria

August 2009 - husband will apply for CP visa for his mother

June 2010 - hopefully visa issued

In between August 2007 and June 2010 mother in law will spend as much time in Victoria with us as poss. She has no captial apart from her cottage which she won't sell (understandably) until she has her visa. She will probably only get about £70,000 for her cottage so will maybe not be able to afford to buy her own place in Victoria. So we are looking to build a bungalow for her on the same piece of land that we buy for ourselves. Hopefully she will pay us back when she has sold her cottage in Scotland, maybe also for the cost of the visa.

What do we do about healthcare for her? Is private medical insurance expensive? She is nearly 79 at the moment.

If she needs to go into a nursing home and her assets are tied up in a bungalow on our land - would we need to sell up to fund her?

Has anyone got any experince of the log cabins that come as a kit. The only ones I have seen are quite small and wouldn't suit for someone looking for permanent accommodation.

It seems to be horribly expensive getting m-i-l settled. We have asked her to come with us so don't feel she should pay for the costs herself, but even so I can see us ending up in debt.

Guest wendyanne
August 2007 - husband and I moving to Victoria

August 2009 - husband will apply for CP visa for his mother

June 2010 - hopefully visa issued

In between August 2007 and June 2010 mother in law will spend as much time in Victoria with us as poss. She has no captial apart from her cottage which she won't sell (understandably) until she has her visa. She will probably only get about £70,000 for her cottage so will maybe not be able to afford to buy her own place in Victoria. So we are looking to build a bungalow for her on the same piece of land that we buy for ourselves. Hopefully she will pay us back when she has sold her cottage in Scotland, maybe also for the cost of the visa.

What do we do about healthcare for her? Is private medical insurance expensive? She is nearly 79 at the moment.

Hi there, We brought my father in law out here to OZ, he came as a contributory aged parent, this meant he paid 15 thousand dollars when he applied for the visa, he then became a temporary resident for 2 years, then he paid the remaining balance of another 10 thousand dollars to be a permanent resident, its a lot of money I know, but it is like a medical insurance, he has been fully covered by medicare whilst he has been here, he even has two weeks in hospital, which was covered.

The wait for aged parent at the tme for him was about 9 years, this is called buying your way in, its pretty much guaranteed.

hope this was some help Wendy

If she needs to go into a nursing home and her assets are tied up in a bungalow on our land - would we need to sell up to fund her?

Has anyone got any experince of the log cabins that come as a kit. The only ones I have seen are quite small and wouldn't suit for someone looking for permanent accommodation.

It seems to be horribly expensive getting m-i-l settled. We have asked her to come with us so don't feel she should pay for the costs herself, but even so I can see us ending up in debt.

Archived