Townsville

ylime

Hi

I lived there for a year or so before moving to the Lockyer Valley around 12 months ago. (Have also lived in Cairns and Melbourne). Not sure what you want to know, it's got all facilities you'd expect from a small city - public & private hospitals, university, several shopping centres, cinemas, airport, esplanade, botanical gardens, new stadium being built etc. On the downside, unemployment is high, the weather is brutal (personally found it more severe than Cairns), rainfall is minimal due to the topography, resulting in continual water restrictions, crime is increasing - car thefts went up 78 per cent, robberies went up by 79 per cent between 2015 and 2016, the town center is full of boarded up shops - although that problem isn't unique to Townsville. From a purely personal perspective, I didn't particularly enjoy living there.

I'm not sure what line of work you're in, but as I mentioned, the job market isn't great - 12.7% unemployment, the second highest in Queensland after the outback. There are some big employers there though - hospitals, armed forces, some govt depts, quite a bit of construction, Tourism - though not to the same extent as some other locations in QLD. Good luck with the move. My son's still in Townsville, been there 3 years doing a double degree at JCU and he's more than happy there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 25/08/2017 at 22:50, ylime said:

Il be moving to townsvillle for sure as that's where my boyfriend is from, it's find a job I'm thinking about more, just hope i manage to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

@ylime what work do you do? 

Personally I didn't like Townsville but that is because we travelled around Australia and had seen so many places that were more beautiful. Also coming from Cairns which to me was paradise i found it a real shock. I'm sure if you are coming straight from the UK you will love it. Which area does your boyfriend live? My son is in Douglas we lived in West End.