Help with emergency passport

AJ235

Hi all,

Wondering if someone who may have been in a similar situation could advise...

My husband and I are both permanent residents in Australia (waiting on citizenship ceremony) and my 3-month old daughter who was born here is entitled to citizenship here. We need to urgently travel back to the UK due to the death of a relative but are having difficulties re; a passport for her. We can't get her an Australian passport as we don't have the evidence of her citizenship (we have applied but they can't say when we will get this) and I'm worried about her having difficulty getting back into Australia if we get her an emergency UK travel document (we have applied online for her UK passport just before this happened). I have called the British Consulate and can get her an emergency travel document but will she has issues arriving back in Australia if she isn't on our visas and doesn't have an Australian passport? 

Any advice would be great on how we can get back to the UK and then back to Australia again!

Thanks!

I'd imagine there would be issues. She is an Aus citizen and would need an Aus passport. She cannot go on your visa. I am not sure what sort of issues you would face at immigration. Have you investigated an Australian emergency travel document for her? No idea if it's possible but it's at least worth a look. 

If its not possible have you considered one of you remaining in Aus with her and the other going? I know it's not what you'd probably choose or want but it may be out of your hands. 

Thanks for the replies. 

I could get her an Australian passport in 2 days, however, I can't apply without the evidence of citizenship certificate. 

Thanks Nemesis - that is definitely worth looking into. I will be close to London and after looking online it would seem that I can get an Australian passport from there of someone forwards me the evidence of citizenship.

Have you contacted them to tell them it is urgent and explained the reason why. It could be you need to keep pressing further and perhaps seek out a different point of contact or some such to see if you can get things speeded up for the citizenship document. I would hope they had a protocol to follow for emergency cases. 

Hi Snifter, yes I have done this. They advised that they don't have a priority service for this and I can't collect it in person either. All they could do was send an email requesting it to be looked at as a priority but couldn't give a definitive answer on when I may receive it. 

I would hope the process is relatively speedy given there are many in this situation who could require passports for their children soon after birth or want to apply for their childs Aus passports asap. 

Citizenship by descent in London was back within a few weeks for us so here is hoping its not months for you. 

I did a bit of googling and found this on an immigration website. I don't know when you applied and it could be its taking longer than the time this website have given here. 

How long does it take to get an Australian Citizenship Certificate?

After filing your Australian Citizenship Certificate application, the DIBP will aim to process it within 1 week, but note that there might be additional post mail delays.

6 hours ago, Nemesis said:

How about - get someone here to collect your mail so that when the citizenship certificate arrives itcan be forwarded to you. Then apply for her ozzie passport in the UK.

If you apply for an Aus passport in the UK via the High Commission its by appointment iirc and requires a trip to London with the citizenship document and other ID etc from parents (and perhaps child). And the passport itself can then take a couple of weeks to be sent out. 

On 29 July 2017 at 11:57, snifter said:

I would hope the process is relatively speedy given there are many in this situation who could require passports for their children soon after birth or want to apply for their childs Aus passports asap. 

Citizenship by descent in London was back within a few weeks for us so here is hoping its not months for you. 

I did a bit of googling and found this on an immigration website. I don't know when you applied and it could be its taking longer than the time this website have given here. 

How long does it take to get an Australian Citizenship Certificate?

After filing your Australian Citizenship Certificate application, the DIBP will aim to process it within 1 week, but note that there might be additional post mail delays.

Thanks for looking that up. I only applied last Thursday. Going to give them a call this morning and see where it is up too. I agree, surely others have been in this position and need it urgently. 

12 hours ago, AJ235 said:

Thanks for looking that up. I only applied last Thursday. Going to give them a call this morning and see where it is up too. I agree, surely others have been in this position and need it urgently. 

Bearing in mind it will come to you via Australia Post I wouldn't be holding my breath! Even if they process it today it could be a week or more till it arrives. Other people probably have been in your position but unfortunately that doesn't mean the department will move faster because of it.

Call the British Consulate and ask them about her getting back in, they should be able to advise.  My experience of immigration is that if you have all the supporting documents  such as her birth certificate they are quite helpful in emergencies. I would also call the airline, this will be something they are used to dealing with.