Child Care

Guest helenmaguire

Guest helenmaguire

How does everyone manage regarding their kids?

We have a 5 year old son and are concerned at how we will cope without the help of Grand-Parents etc while we are at work?

Does everyone have only one party working?

What are the school hours?

Thanks,

Helen

Guest The Thomsons

I am worried about this too. They start school later in Oz so my youngest won't start for another 18 months and I have to work. I know the state kindergartens have long waiting lists but I'm hoping that there will be some decent private nurseries. I think most of the schools have after school clubs like in the UK. Personally, I feel I need to sort this out once there as I will need to see with my own eyes any child-care facility before I would be happy to use it.

Hi, my daughter is 3, i had to put her on 3 waiting lists while in the UK and after 5 months (luckily before we were due to arrive) got a place in one of them. It is especially hard to find if you want full time place.

I have found it hard without family to help out, especially as it is only me and my daughter. I have found an occasional babysitter in a young girl here, but found babysitters can be expensive with the average person charging $16-$20 an hour.

School hours seem to be roughly about the same here ( i live across the road from a primary school) around 9am-3pm but may vary slightly from school to school.

Archived