Driving licence

sunshinedawn

You can get an international type 'pass' from the post office but in general getting an Oz license is the way forward. It's a pretty easy process from my experience, we started in QLD and then transferred them to VIC when we moved. I know VIC do require you to have VIC licenses after 3 months of taking up residence, I'm not sure if the requirements in other states. We had the option of 1,2,3,4 or 5 year licences at differing rates. Also an Oz driving license comes in handy as a proof of residency (for school, rental applications etc) and some car insurers load premiums or won't even offer cover for overseas licences.

• Like 1

You can get an international type 'pass' from the post office but in general getting an Oz license is the way forward. It's a pretty easy process from my experience, we started in QLD and then transferred them to VIC when we moved. I know VIC do require you to have VIC licenses after 3 months of taking up residence, I'm not sure if the requirements in other states. We had the option of 1,2,3,4 or 5 year licences at differing rates. Also an Oz driving license comes in handy as a proof of residency (for school, rental applications etc) and some car insurers load premiums or won't even offer cover for overseas licences.

Thanks is it easy to get one, or do we need to take a test like in England first

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using PomsinOz mobile app

Thanks is it easy to get one, or do we need to take a test like in England first

No test required as long as you've held your license a certain time. Just book an appointment, turn up, pay the fee and your license will turn up in the post 10(ish) days later. I did have one small issue with VicRoads, they thought my motorcycle entitlement wasn't over 3 years old (a glitch when I went from old paper to plastic UK license). Luckily I had my paper part with me and I was able to show I passed the test in 1990 so all was good.

No test required as long as you've held your license a certain time. Just book an appointment, turn up, pay the fee and your license will turn up in the post 10(ish) days later. I did have one small issue with VicRoads, they thought my motorcycle entitlement wasn't over 3 years old (a glitch when I went from old paper to plastic UK license). Luckily I had my paper part with me and I was able to show I passed the test in 1990 so all was good.

Quite easy then, how much is it?

Quite easy then, how much is it?

I think it varies state to state. Google driving license fees for XXX state and you should bring up the relevant state's web site. It's not like the good old DVLC, every state is different, charges different rates for licences and rego (car tax) and none communicate with each other.