What to take initially?

Melli

My wife and I are moving to Sydney in September and will be renting our house out in the uk. We won't be shipping anything over apart from and extra 2 suitcases We're flying with Thai so get 30kg each to start off with. What do you guys recommend taking for the immediate hassle and expense that will save time and money? We will be using air BnB for 2 weeks then looking to rent immediately. We don't mind sleeping on air beds and using camping stuff but should we take a knife fork and spoon each and some bedding/ sleeping bag? A multi point power lead? Photos?

What would you do if you did it again?

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

I agree with ScottieGirl - clothes for the weather. Also any documents you might need for getting a job (but have a scanned back up elsewhere too). Bedding gets a bit bulky and the bed sizes are different. I would also take all my knitting needles and some of my wool stash but for most people that's not a huge necessity I admit.

We "moved" to UK accidentally nearly 6 years ago with just our backpacks and we've acquired what we've needed as we've gone along.  My husband did pack 3 small boxes full of I don't know what but they took such a long time to come and maybe his judgment of what we needed was a bit erratic but we needed nothing that came in the boxes. There is always Freecycle or Gumtree or Garage Sales if you feel you need something. It's actually quite liberating to start again. My husband did regret not having a couple of his books and I think he would have sent his bike if our son had not already had his bike here but otherwise have backpack will settle. 

Archived