Paying for shipment

Hi everyone 

we are in the process of confirming payment / contract with PSS as the quote seems reasonable for what we are asking for (they are packing the house, putting the stuff into storage and then returning at a later date to pack and ship)

i was just just wondering if it's standard to have to pay everything up front? The whole balance before they come to pack the house up?

also - has anyone got any advice on any pitfalls, things to double check with the quote? Bit worried about committing to such a huge payment just like everyone else I guess! 

Many thanks

simon and sian x

I don't know if they do. Ask them and see. 

TBH I think its worth getting independent over the shipping company cover. Far less hassle if you need to make a claim and to get it settled. So many times I read of people claiming from their shipping company and having all kinds of grief. I'd go for independent just for peace of mind if nothing else. 

7 hours ago, SimonandSian said:

i was just just wondering if it's standard to have to pay everything up front? The whole balance before they come to pack the house up?

also - has anyone got any advice on any pitfalls, things to double check with the quote? Bit worried about committing to such a huge payment just like everyone else I guess! 

Hi Simon and Sian,

Yes, this is standard practice so don't panic. Are they a member of BAR Overseas? if so your payment is protected by an Advance Payment Guarantee, meaning in the event that the worst happens and they go out of business after you've paid but before service is completed that another BAR member will step in to complete the service OR you'll be refunded. If they aren't a member, please check with them if they've any payment protection or guarantees in place. 

In terms of double checking your quote, make sure you've asked if anything is excluded from your quote, that you're happy they've covered all the services you've asked them for (e.g. any crating, dismantling etc.) and that their move plan (time scales etc.) meets your needs. If you've had other quotes to compare (3 is the magic number) then make sure there isn't anything on the others that jumps out as missing or vastly different that you'd want to double check (e.g. if the volume was much different). With the insurance check that it covers the period of time your goods are in storage too. 

Hope that helps! 

On 04/07/2017 at 07:25, snifter said:
On 04/07/2017 at 14:44, KirstyLP said:

Hi Simon and Sian,

Yes, this is standard practice so don't panic. Are they a member of BAR Overseas? if so your payment is protected by an Advance Payment Guarantee, meaning in the event that the worst happens and they go out of business after you've paid but before service is completed that another BAR member will step in to complete the service OR you'll be refunded. If they aren't a member, please check with them if they've any payment protection or guarantees in place. 

In terms of double checking your quote, make sure you've asked if anything is excluded from your quote, that you're happy they've covered all the services you've asked them for (e.g. any crating, dismantling etc.) and that their move plan (time scales etc.) meets your needs. If you've had other quotes to compare (3 is the magic number) then make sure there isn't anything on the others that jumps out as missing or vastly different that you'd want to double check (e.g. if the volume was much different). With the insurance check that it covers the period of time your goods are in storage too. 

Hope that helps! 

The quote we were going to go with was PSS - just over £4K with them having to come twice to pack and then collect at a later date. 20' container. From looking at other posts that sounds about right do you think? 

they did try to sell to crates but if the tv  is Insured I don't see the need for crates anyway? 

Yep we have checked and letton will cover the time in storage, for a few obviously! 

Thank you for the help :)

14 hours ago, SimonandSian said:

The quote we were going to go with was PSS - just over £4K with them having to come twice to pack and then collect at a later date. 20' container. From looking at other posts that sounds about right do you think? 

they did try to sell to crates but if the tv  is Insured I don't see the need for crates anyway? 

Yep we have checked and letton will cover the time in storage, for a few obviously! 

It's next to impossible to compare one person's quote with another too closely because there are so many variables in putting together an international removals price, which is why we typically say 3 quotes allows you to benchmark your own move, so as long as you're happy the PSS quote includes everything you've asked for and need then that looks in the right ball park for a 20ft container to Australia. :)

Crates are a personal preference, they are great if you're worried about something getting damaged that is of more than just financial value to you, but if you're happy that your cover allows you to replace it and you don't mind doing so if it does get damaged then that's probably a risk you're willing to take for the saving in cost. 

Thanks all.

Sorry to be so needy, but does this look like it covers everything??

Our quotation is based on the enclosed list of items and an estimated volume not exceeding 750 cubic feet loaded into one 20' GP container at your residence and includes:-

Professional export packing at your residence of the items detailed on the enclosed list, utilising export packing materials and cartons.
Numbering and listing of all packages for customs requirements.
Placing items into your Bridgend storage unit

Transportation of the ocean container to your Bridgened storage unit at a later date, loading household effects, sealing container and return to shipping line terminal.
UK & destination Port/Terminal handling charges.
Ocean Freight to arrival vessel destination port/terminal.

Customs Clearance, haulage of container and unloading.
Delivery of Household effects to residence as specified above, unwrapping and removal of packing materials at the time of delivery (assumes good access and not above first floor or ground floor in USA). 

They also talk about an indemnity fee to guard against external container cleaning in customs, but it doesn't make it sound like this is very likely to be needed? thoughts??

On 06/07/2017 at 04:12, SimonandSian said:

Personally I cannot see how a TV could be shipped without being crated though others may have positive experiences of doing so.  The insurance will probably specify that cover is dependent on this too so best check the fine print.

21 hours ago, SimonandSian said:

Thanks all.

Sorry to be so needy, but does this look like it covers everything??

Our quotation is based on the enclosed list of items and an estimated volume not exceeding 750 cubic feet loaded into one 20' GP container at your residence and includes:-

Professional export packing at your residence of the items detailed on the enclosed list, utilising export packing materials and cartons.
Numbering and listing of all packages for customs requirements.
Placing items into your Bridgend storage unit

Transportation of the ocean container to your Bridgened storage unit at a later date, loading household effects, sealing container and return to shipping line terminal.
UK & destination Port/Terminal handling charges.
Ocean Freight to arrival vessel destination port/terminal.

Customs Clearance, haulage of container and unloading.
Delivery of Household effects to residence as specified above, unwrapping and removal of packing materials at the time of delivery (assumes good access and not above first floor or ground floor in USA). 

They also talk about an indemnity fee to guard against external container cleaning in customs, but it doesn't make it sound like this is very likely to be needed? thoughts??

I've just had a quick scan, one thing not mentioned is the bio-security inspection charges, most companies exclude these as you don't know what they are until afterwards so you pay them locally (some include them but both methods are common), but I presume they've given you some information on what the potential charges are so you can factor this in. Another tip is check the list they provided, make sure nothing is missed off (if you haven't already done that). 

Are the dates for going back to do the loading at your storage unit agreed as part of the price or are these open? Only reason that I ask is that if they are open ended then just make sure that your price covers you whenever that is and that your price won't change if the dates slip. Shipping prices can tend to vary seasonally so some quotes are only valid for 28 days unless dates are specified. 

Indemnity fee for external cleaning is another one that all removal companies do differently and that's your preference. There is always a risk you'll need it but there's also the risk that you'll pay it for no reason! If you want to check your level of comfort with the risk ask them for some stats on how many containers they've had recently that require the cleaning and then make your mind up from there. 

Hope that helps!