School Fee's??

A.Gordon

Looking at your posting history, you are going to Sydney on a 457 visa?  If so, school fees for the 2017 school year are $5000 per child, going up to $5200 per child in the 2018 year.  There is also an admin fee payable on application per child of $110, but this is only paid once at the start.  Bear in mind that there will also be other costs on top of this, such as voluntary school contributions (which aren't really voluntary), payments for books, excursions, sport, extra curricular etc.

This is the relevant page from the NSW Education Dept.  The links on there show you how to make an 'Authority to Enrol' application etc.

• Like 1

Because of the fees in some states you do need to factor in or negotiate the salary to make it worthwhile. What might sound good salary wise prior to school fees doesn't look quite so good once you take out $10k or so for a couple of kids.  

They sometimes do reduce the fees for hardship reasons, but this is discretionary so I wouldn't assume that they would.  Is there any way you can apply for PR?  You don't pay school fees for state school in NSW if you are a permanent resident.  I agree that it is costly otherwise, and makes the move much more difficult to manage financially if you have a couple of kids.

Unfortunately, as you're finding out, Sydney is an expensive place to live.  We've been here for a bit over eight years and have seen costs rise massively in that time.  I've no idea what sort of job/salary you would have, but talk to the employer and see if there is any wiggle room.

32 minutes ago, A.Gordon said:

Your right there.., The problem is, It's everything. The dental fee's are extortionate!! Got some serious thinking to do then a chat with the employer.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

The downside of temp visas. 

PR would see those costs come down considerably in terms of school fees as you'd only be liable for the couple of hundred (or whatever amount the school sets but its not usually extortionate, for example we pay about $150 extra a year school fees over the set state amount) for supplies etc same as everyone else and dental would probably work out better also. Our son sees a dentist and we only pay about $40 a time for everything including his having x rays and a couple of other things. Plus the other things you could be eligible for. 

For a 457 I'd be looking at a really good salary package in Sydney to make the few years of upheaval worthwhile. Or as has been said, going for PR if you want it to be a longer term move. 

PR isn't an option for me at this stage plus I want to try it out there for a year or so and see if suits my family and I. Out of interest, What do you class as a good salary as a minimum?? I'm guessing that you would recommend putting up with the hardships for a few years until I can obtain PR..??

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

It depends on the job and your lifestyle etc. What suits one, won't another. Also area you may live etc. So many factors. I'm sure there are some threads on cost of living in Sydney that would give you an idea. 

If you are serious about PR then it may be worth it to go for the short term costs over the long term gain. However, given the visa changes I have no idea if you could even apply for PR off the back of the 457 now or what other options may be available to you. I am not overly familiar with what changes may be occurring. 

Also if you only want to try it out for a year or so what is being offered might be manageable. If you stay longer it probably won't be.