Insurance for interstate ambulance cover?

Bridgeman

I am not sure if this should be in the Health forum but we are planning a trip to the Pilbara WA to see family and spending a few days sightseeing in Perth. We are in Queensland. I am taking out travel insurance but I note that none of the domestic policies cover for medical emergencies. 

I am just wondering if for example if we had an accident and need an ambulance is there any way of taking out insurance for another state?   I am finding it very confusing  and I know ambulances are not covered my Medicare in most states.  We have private medical insurance for extras but not for ambulance as it's free in Queensland.  I have looked at the private medical insurers but most won't insure you for ambulance if you live in Queensland and I can't seem to find any that meet interstate requirements.

Secondly, what happens if you need to be transported back to your home state, possibly by an interstate medical air service.  Is this covered by Medicare and if not can this be insured against?

Quick google says this:

Queensland residents travelling interstate 
If you are a Queensland resident and you receive an invoice for pre-hospital medical care provided to you by another State/Territory Service, you are requested to forward the invoice, along with evidence that you were a Queensland resident at the time of the interstate treatment/transport to :

Queensland Ambulance Service
Governance and Management Services Unit
GPO Box 1425
BRISBANE QLD 4001

The Queensland Ambulance Service will then make the necessary arrangements for the invoice to be paid on your behalf.

Ambulance isn't free in Queensland, we pay it as part of our electric bill for some reason.

Guest The Pom Queen

We no longer pay for it through our electric. Between July 1, 2003, and June 30, 2011, the Community Ambulance Cover levy was charged on electricity bills in Queensland to help fund the Queensland Ambulance Service.

The levy was scrapped from July 2012 when the full cost of the ambulance service was funded through the state government budget.

Guest The Pom Queen
3 hours ago, Bridgeman said:

Secondly, what happens if you need to be transported back to your home state, possibly by an interstate medical air service.  Is this covered by Medicare and if not can this be insured against?

The Qld gov will not pay for transport back to the state unless treatment can't be provided where you are. If it's just a case of being closer to home they won't entertain you.

We have an annual travel insurance with Australia Post which covers us for  international but also domestic travel as long as the domestic leg  is 240 kms  ( give or take a few kms) and over from Tasmania (our residence). Give them a call they are very helpful!

• Like 1