Uk pension transfer to oz pension

MATT818

30 minutes ago, Andrew from Vista Financial said:

Hi Matt

How old are you, who is your UK Pension with and who is your Super here with?

Andy

Hi Andy

Im 50 this year. I have a few old company pension in the uk. They are with Royal London,Equitable Life, Friends Life, and Zurich. My my super here is with Sunsuper.

Matt

Thanks Matt

So you have to be age 55 now before being able to transfer UK Pensions directly to Australia.

Sunsuper currently is not able to accept UK Pension Transfers so a new Super Fund would have to be established that met HMRC criteria.

You may however wish to review and potentially consolidate your UK Pensions in the meantime if they are under $300,000, this amount being the most that can be contributed to a superannuation scheme as a non-concessional contribution without breaching the caps from 1 July 2017 (using the bring forward rule).  

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

Can you tell me which super's would accept a transfer from the uk? Maybe i will start a new super with one of these, so when im 55 i can do the transfer. Or would Sunsuper, by then accept a transfer!

Thanks for the advise, and help.

Regards

Matt

Hello randl

I do not believe that First State Super are a QROPS in which case no it would not.

Really the only options at the moment for transfers to Australian Super Funds for over 55s are:

A) Have a Self-Managed Super Fund opened and registered as a QROPS OR an existing Self-Managed Super Fund registered as a QROPS with a Trust Deed update;

B) Become a member of the only retail (public offer) super fund on the ROPS list being the Tidswell Master Trust.

Option A requires typically a high minimum balance to make it viable and also the desire to take on the responsibility of running (being responsible) for their own Superannuation Fund including staying abreast of Australian and UK regulations.....certainly not for everyone.

Regards

Andy  

Archived