Leaving Family Behind

Fosh

On 10/05/2017 at 08:47, snifter said:

Good luck in Melbourne. Can't help with much there with things (you had been looking at Adelaide but guessing you've changed your plans) but hope you settle well.

With regard to your 3 year old. You are the one overthinking it and worrying, not him. 3 year olds don't have the same thought processes or feel like we do about these things. His world is much more simple and I'd expect that so long as you and Dad and some familiar toys, clothes, food and routine are around and in place his immediate world around him will be fine :)

They don't tend to to think about next week or month either and often out of sight is out of mind after a week or two. And given you'll be moving the other side of the world and busy setting up chances are he'll be going along with you experiencing it all.

Don't be living on Skype and FB (not saying you do or will but many find themselves doing this, more so if missing loved ones or are homesick perhaps) every day and give yourselves chance to find your feet and adjust to your new home. 

Migration takes a huge dollop of selfishness IMHO and you need to be prepared for it to be tough going, especially to begin with. As to how you'll find being away from your support network, depends on you. We never had that in the UK to miss to begin with. I had long ago moved away from living close to my parents and friends. And although we have family here closer by now, tbh we don't really need or make use of them much with regards to childcare and all that. We just get on and live our lives, see them as and when. Friends help out more than they do these days. I tend to ask friends first ahead of family. Easier all round given jobs, other kids, friends are school etc. 

Agree with all of this. Parents an hour away in U.K., parents an hour away here in Melbourne. Used once per year to sit for a weekend away at good food show in city each year. It's in two weeks!

the only reason friends don't have the kids is that they are there with us. Five couples, no kids, my liver is going to get a workout!

ohs parents come out nearly every year for three months at a time and get more quality time with grandparents as they are living in the granny flat in the garden. Back in the uk we find they didn't spent the time with the kid as they had too many of their own appointments to spend much time with him. 

Best thing we did. Oh and kids Skype once or twice per week and all of them use whatsapp to keep in touch as a family. My family don't. Everyone's different.