Queensland - jobs/ young family

Fosh

Hi everyone, my hubby, me and my 2 little boys 3 years and 9 months are looking at options to move to queensland. 

Our original choice was Melbourne as my hubby has family there (parents and a sister) but his parents are very old and won't be able to help us as a young family, which led us to look at alternative areas if we are going alone regardless of where we live. Also the Melbourne weather put us off a little as we would like a more sunny climate and laid back lifestyle which we worry melbourne isn't? (No hubby has been in the UK for 10 years and I am from the UK so we are slightly clueless).

We love Buderim, but it's so far out from Brisbane which is probably where our jobs would be. I'm a project manager and my husband is a business analyst. We looked online at jobs in the Goldcoast for PMs but only 1 came up. 

Is there any lovely areas with a good/ easy commute to Brisbane that are affordable homes/ spacious/good schools and good commute (under 1 hour)? 

Are you a young family that can tell us the pros and cons to Brisbane? I'm worried about childcare costs for 2 young children. 

Is the flooding bad, as I have concerns re flooding? 

Has anyone got 4 day a week working? I currently have this in the UK and would love this in Queensland.

Thank you in advance!!

Hi 

For people to give you some guidance you will need to provide a little more info. 

For example, budget (you can get a nice house for $450,000 in one area or $1m + in another); school - state, private, religious; Queenslander v New build; new estate v established; quaint shops v large shopping malls and cosmopolitan area; train v bus v car to city; Northside v Southside. 

The suburbs are very different in feel - this is a bit generalist but for example, Albany Creek - family orientated, bus to city, decent shops v Nundah - up and coming, trendy, lots of apartments and Queenslanders v Paddington - $1m + for nice house, highly sought after, regarded as the 'posher' end of Brisbane. Narrow down what you are after and we can give you a bit more help. 

P

• Like 1

PS make sure you look at the flood map before you pick somewhere. Flooding is a significant issue. It is not usual for houses to flood in bad storms. When looking make sure you ask the question. Even if houses have nice conversions in the garage/ lower floor, these may flood. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hi 
For people to give you some guidance you will need to provide a little more info. 
For example, budget (you can get a nice house for $450,000 in one area or $1m + in another); school - state, private, religious; Queenslander v New build; new estate v established; quaint shops v large shopping malls and cosmopolitan area; train v bus v car to city; Northside v Southside. 
The suburbs are very different in feel - this is a bit generalist but for example, Albany Creek - family orientated, bus to city, decent shops v Nundah - up and coming, trendy, lots of apartments and Queenslanders v Paddington - $1m + for nice house, highly sought after, regarded as the 'posher' end of Brisbane. Narrow down what you are after and we can give you a bit more help. 
P

Hi Peachy,

Thanks for the info. We are currently looking to rent for the first year (maybe less if we are lucky and settle well).

Our jobs will be in CBD. We would like to live in a place with good childcare (both children will be under 3 years old). Easy commute (under 35 minutes on either train or bus) to CBD as hubby won't have a car , only me within the 1st year until we settle. We would need 3 bedrooms but hope for 4 on our budget.
We would have upto 450 per week to spend on rental. We would absolutely love a swimming pool if we can afford one in our budget.
A leafy family suburb would be fab. Not too fussed if it's near a beach or not as long as commute is good and it's safe.
Thanks!

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Hi 

Have a look at rentals on real estate. Then google street view their location to get a feel of the location. 

Family friendly places to live northside (I live northside and don't venture much across the river!!), within your budget and travel to cbd would be: 

Albany Creek (bus), Ferny Hills (train), Ferny Grove (train), Mitchelton (train); The Gap (bus), probably lots more but got a bit bored checking the rental prices for you! Train service is excellent and cheap (in comparison to UK). 

Areas I am not keen on (but I am sure that others will have a different view and I am not writing off the whole of these suburbs!): Zillmere; Deception Bay; Chermside (traffic is horrific!); Stafford, parts of Gaythorne. Suggest you google, have a look at the street view. 

From a quick look on real estate if you want to be in a nice area then you are unlikely to get a swimming pool within that budget, but you never know what might pop up. 

Good luck! 

P