Registering nurse diploma with New Zealand

Hi all, 

Apologies if this has been done before (pretty sure it will have been but I can't find!) I have been told that I can take my diploma over to Oz if I register it with NZ first. I'm looking for any advice on this and I have a few questions if that's ok?

1. Is it true?

2. Is it easy to do?

3. Will they want to do skills assessment on me?

4. How long does it take (no immediate rush to be honest)?

5. How long is it valid for?

6. Are they not pissed off when you just scoot off to Oz with your new qualification?

thanks ever so much :) xx

NZ have a reciprocal agreement for those nurses already registered in Australia and I assume that the Aus also has one with NZ.

To register in NZ you have to have the equivalent of a bachelors degree  you can do a self assessment before applying http://selfassessment.nursingcouncil.org.nz/ - to check your eligibility.  It does say that they treat each application individually and if you don't have a degree there is an email to contact them.

You will need to sit an English test (unless registered in Aus) which is either IELTS or OET, and there is an international criminal history check. and application fees - which all told (currently) amounts to $1,139.

If you do get NZ registration, then one would assume if a reciprocal arrangement exists from Aus to NZ you could then get AHPRA registration.  You would of course then have visa fees and whatever criteria they have (they operate a points system also), to get the visa if you wanted to reside in NZ prior to moving to Aus. 

If you were thinking of just heading out to Aus (having obtained NZ registration but no NZ visa) - then one would assume you would need to fulfill the skills assessment criteria in order to apply for your Australian visa.

Here's the link for registration to NZ http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/Nurses/International-registration

Archived