Burpengary, Queensland

Guest Angelcake

Guest Angelcake

Hi

Can anyone tell me anything about Burpengary?

I've been looking at the northern suburbs of Brisbane and hadnt considered coming out as far as Burpengary. Ive just been looking at some of the houses there and they look to be very reasonably priced and more spacious. It looks a bit more rural to me.

Just wondering if its a decent area? What are the schools like? Is it commutable to Brisbane? What are the facilities like close by? Would you live there?

Thanks

Angelcake

Guest taffy 62

Think it would take about an hour to commute to brisbane.

With the northen suburbs any commuting into the city is a nightmare as the roads are so congested especially the gateway highway and gympie road.

Everyone is trying to get in at the same time!

Theres a place called northlakes which looks nice but I would hate the commute from there and my husband has refused point blank to do it, or go any where nr the north side.

My daughter lives north side but is on a train line and only 15 mins out so that isnt too bad.

You will find with brisbanites their for the north or south and like to bag each other out reagarding which side they live!

Guest Angelcake
Think it would take about an hour to commute to brisbane.

With the northen suburbs any commuting into the city is a nightmare as the roads are so congested especially the gateway highway and gympie road.

Everyone is trying to get in at the same time!

Theres a place called northlakes which looks nice but I would hate the commute from there and my husband has refused point blank to do it, or go any where nr the north side.

My daughter lives north side but is on a train line and only 15 mins out so that isnt too bad.

You will find with brisbanites their for the north or south and like to bag each other out reagarding which side they live!

Hi Taffy

Ive heard about the north/south divide - for some reason Im drawn to the north (of course havent visited yet though)

Ive been looking at North Lakes and other suburbs in that area. Can I ask where your daughter lives and does she like it?

Thanks

Angelcake

Guest taffy 62

My daughter lives in gaythorne it suits her as shes young and it only takes her 15min to get into the city. She is central to the clubs and uni and shopping etc.

I dont think i would like to live there with young children.

I personal dont like it the buildings are a lot of old queenslanders and the streets are narrow and busy.

I have built 3 houses over the years so i prefer the new modern thing, but thats just me.

Northlakes is huge and they have their own shopping plazas schools etc if you could get a job out there it would be great.

Im from a country town and find all this commuting with traffic a bit too much, but if your from a city you may not find it a bother.

The further out you go the newer the houses and cheaper they become.

The suburbs bay side are nice seem a bit quieter but are pretty expensive.

Hope this helps.

Hi My Hubby works in the city and finds no problem getting in ...it does take about 50min from Northlakes with busy traffic...or you can drive to Petrie and park the car.

I have lots of friends in Northlakes/Halpine lakes and they love it ....but there are LOADS of expats...not always a bad thing when you are feeling unsettled.

Burpungary has some nice parts but I found it a little bit Grubby to be honest...but I haven't travelled all round it to be honest.Maybe someone who lives there will give you a better Idea.

Guest taffy 62
Hi My Hubby works in the city and finds no problem getting in ...it does take about 50min from Northlakes with busy traffic...or you can drive to Petrie and park the car.

I have lots of friends in Northlakes/Halpine lakes and they love it ....but there are LOADS of expats...not always a bad thing when you are feeling unsettled.

Burpungary has some nice parts but I found it a little bit Grubby to be honest...but I haven't travelled all round it to be honest.Maybe someone who lives there will give you a better Idea.

I agree northlakes looks a lovely place to live nice homes and facilities, I would have liked to have been based there but its too far out for my hubby as he works west end side and would have to cross the river.

Hes finding half hour commute too much never mind 1 hour:biglaugh:

Guest Angelcake

Hi Taffy,

Must admit Im not looking forward to rush hour traffic!!!

We're hoping my hubby can work from home just venturing into the office once of twice a week.

By the way, are you welsh? My hubby's family are from Bridgend.

Angelcake

Guest taffy 62

Yep born in the rhondda but moved to a place 5 mile outside newport, then when married lived in caldicot nr the 7 bridge.

Been in Oz 19 years now:jiggy:

Hi Angelcake, my husband drives to Bald Hills train station from North Lakes (10mins), always gets a parking space there and it takes 35-ish mins into the city from there. Just for the info of those who like the look of this area. He could drive 10 mins to Petrie but that's further up the line and would mean an extra 5-10 mins on the train.

Friends of ours who are renting here have looked at houses in Narangba - it's semi-rural in areas, the house they like is in Valentine Court, which is beautiful. most houses there have around 2 acres I think. it's a ten min drive to North Lakes from there. If you move over the train line into Burpengary you get the same house for $100 less. but our friends were warned that the house they saw on the market there, whch again is on acreage, is near a lake or swamp or something and is horrific for mosquitos and sand flies. they were seriously excited abt the house, but thankfully some locals pointed out the mossie issue. That's been enough to put them off, the mossies ruin your day and the sand fly bites last abt 2 weeks and itch like ****!!

Hope that helps.

Guest taffy 62
19 years is a long time have you got any regrets about moving their :err:

Nah not now, Went through a few stages of homesickness, its been made easier now my parents are out here, they arrived 5 years ago.

I went back last year for 4 weeks and felt glad that i didnt live there anymore so i class my self as an ozzie now:biglaugh:

Guest ellie2
Hi

Can anyone tell me anything about Burpengary?

I've been looking at the northern suburbs of Brisbane and hadnt considered coming out as far as Burpengary. Ive just been looking at some of the houses there and they look to be very reasonably priced and more spacious. It looks a bit more rural to me.

Just wondering if its a decent area? What are the schools like? Is it commutable to Brisbane? What are the facilities like close by? Would you live there?

Thanks

Angelcake

We live in Burpengary east on the bay breeze estate which are all acreage houses we are close to the boat ramp and close to the Bruce highway on a good day you can get to Brisbane in 45 mins during rush hour its more like an hour, I think most people catch the train if they work in the city it takes 50 mins to get to city central.

We like this area very much, looked at it on the internet before we came to do our reccie but discounted it because of all the negative things we had seen on forums.

We were going to buy further up towards Buderim area but when we got there we prefered this area as its so convienient to get to Brissy and our daughter is at Uni there.

Its only 30 mins to Bribie Island and 10 mins to North Lakes, I find North lakes to be to built up and just love it here. Dont judge a place until you have seen it.

If you need to know anything else just ask.

Lots of luck in whatever you decide.

Christine

Guest Angelcake

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your post!

Completley agree about not judging a place before you've seen it, what suits one person doesnt always suit another.

So, Burpengary is definately on the list now:yes:!!

Thanks

Angelcake

We live in Burpengary east on the bay breeze estate which are all acreage houses we are close to the boat ramp and close to the Bruce highway on a good day you can get to Brisbane in 45 mins during rush hour its more like an hour, I think most people catch the train if they work in the city it takes 50 mins to get to city central.

We like this area very much, looked at it on the internet before we came to do our reccie but discounted it because of all the negative things we had seen on forums.

We were going to buy further up towards Buderim area but when we got there we prefered this area as its so convienient to get to Brissy and our daughter is at Uni there.

Its only 30 mins to Bribie Island and 10 mins to North Lakes, I find North lakes to be to built up and just love it here. Dont judge a place until you have seen it.

If you need to know anything else just ask.

Lots of luck in whatever you decide.

Christine

Guest kiwi

Burpengary is kind of rural, but has quite a big shopping centre. There are some lovely parts and some not so nice, but I didn't really find it grubby. I liked the fact that it wasn't all new estate like some parts. Schools have a good reputation and there are beaches within half an hour. I've heard there is a boat ramp and river access, but we didn't find that. We spoke to a couple who had a big block in East Burpengary which was lovely. He drove to work just north of CBD and it took him 45 mins. North Lakes is nice and has a great shopping centre. Halpine Lakes is lovely if you can afford it.

Archived