Snakes in Cairns and townsnville

John delaney

Hi,

ive heard that if you live in Cairns for a few years you are bound to encounter a snake or two,either in your house or your backyard.A venomous snake in the house is quite difficult to get away from.Are they spiky snake deterrents or some such that people can use on doors and windows?How often is this scenario likely?

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @John delaney firstly please don't let it put you off Cairns. Yes there are snakes but 95% of residents don't see them. We lived in Redlynch Valley and backed on to 100 hectares of rainforest. We never saw snakes until we bought chickens and then the scrub pythons started calling by for a chicken dinner. They are non venomous and can reach 15ft plus. 

Unless you live near fields, rainforest etc chances are you won't see any.

My worry is a venomous snake in the house,after a cyclone or some such event.Just read about a chap a a place called yorkneys knob,who was bitten by a coastal taipan,in his home.I wouldn't know what to do if I was trapped in a room with a snake blocking the exit.Do glue traps and mesh traps work.I was visualising some kind of spiky mesh,which I could easily walk over but would deter a venomous snake.Apparently post cyclone in Townsville there have been loads of snakes in unusual places

3 hours ago, John delaney said:

My worry is a venomous snake in the house,after a cyclone or some such event.Just read about a chap a a place called yorkneys knob,who was bitten by a coastal taipan,in his home.I wouldn't know what to do if I was trapped in a room with a snake blocking the exit.Do glue traps and mesh traps work.I was visualising some kind of spiky mesh,which I could easily walk over but would deter a venomous snake.Apparently post cyclone in Townsville there have been loads of snakes in unusual places

I know what i would do if a snake was blocking the door.... Make a quick exit through a window !! lol

Snakes are everywhere but very rarely do you see them and even rarer do they end up in your house (hence when they do it makes the papers). We are on acerage and in all the years we have been here have seen very few on the land or near the house. There is something about keeping chickens that does attract them though ,hence no chickens for us !!

Cal x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John delaney said:

.Do glue traps and mesh traps work

I've never heard of these anywhere.  But it's very common in Australia to have mesh screens over open windows and mesh screen doors (in addition to standard external doors) to keep out flies and insects.  You just need to be conscientious about never leaving a door or window unprotected and ensure you have no  holes in the walls or floors where they could enter.  

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
6 hours ago, John delaney said:

There are stories now and again but to be honest you have more chance of being in a car accident than being bit by a snake. I never saw one snake when I lived in Townsville. Saying that I haven't seen any whilst being in the Lockyer Valley but they have killed two of my dogs.

Where are you thinking of moving to? The only thing we ever had in the house was a lace monitor, gheckos and a green tree frog.